1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

View Of Mt Everest?

Discussion in 'Trekking and Mountaineering' started by Igor, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Igor

Igor New Member

I know that Mt. Everest is in Nepal but was wondering whether there is a place in India form where you can view the mountain. There are so many high altitude destinations in India and I am sure that there must be a good place to view it.

Elaine Lat likes this.

2. Rocky

Rocky New Member

There are various places from where you can view Mount Everest. In fact you can get a view from any high altitude hill station in the foothills of the Himalayas. There is a spot in Darjeeling also from where you can see it.

3. Travguy

Travguy Member

It is interesting to know that you can get good views of Mount Everest from places in India. I have seen images of the mountain and I am impressed by the sheer height and the way it looks in those images.

4. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

I am not sure if Mount Everest is visible from India, however, some portion of Himalayan mountain range is also in India and you can see various Himalayan mountains from the state of Jammu and Kashmir.

5. Elaine Lat

Elaine Lat Member

I've always wanted to try trekking but haven't got the time nor money for it. I'm also looking for people to go with. I would very like to try and see the various popular trekking destinations in my own country first before planning to see the best ones abroad. Mt.Everest is like level 100 to most trekkers and climbers. I would like to someday see the world from the top of it. It's scary that people also die before reaching the top. I've read enough news articles and seen documentaries to know how dangerous it is but perhaps for an avid trekker, Mt.Everest is the ultimate goal.

6. Destiny

Destiny Member

I've never really spent too much time in the mountains. But, I do remember once place I visted, I was told I was looking at Mt. Everest... but, I honestly couldn't tell because it wasn't a very good view at all. So I'm sure there are better locations where you can get a good view of the mountain.

7. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

I don't think you can spot it everywhere, maybe you can see Mount Everest on areas near the border closest to the Himalayas, or very high places in India, but you would really still have to trek up the mountains to get to that view. If you really want to see the view, why not go to the Himalayas, and remove the middle man completely? You will have to have the same training as with the Indian treks, and you will be on the actual mountain, and not just seeing the slope in the horizon. It's a lot better BEING on it rather than seeing it from the distance.

8. tabby

tabby Member

Oh, I read a blog before that one can see the peak of Mt. Everest from some of the highest hills in India. If my memory serve me, it's called Tiger Hill. I don't remember the details much. But according to that blog post, one can see the peak from there. However, it involves a bit of luck. Before going to the hill, one must at least try to find out the weather situation. You won't catch the peak if you arrive there and it's cloudy. Some had to visit the place twice or thrice before they had the chance to see the peak of Everest.

9. Bonzer

Bonzer New Member

You can capture a breathtaking view of Mt.Everst from Tiger hill in India. You got an observation deck in there to view Mt.Everest. You can also see Mt. Kanchenjunga, the second highest peak ever from the same observatory. You can also take a peek at the mighty Everest from Kurseong, Darjeeling in West Bengal state. Good Luck!

10. Danny Luke

Danny Luke Member

I think one of the best places in India to see a panoramic view of the famous Mount Everest is located in Kurseong. This is a hill station in the Darjeeling District in West Bengal. I've never been there myself but I've heard a lot of people say that you can see the beauty of Everest there.

11. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello!

Here are some of the best places in India that you can get a good view of Mount Everest:
    • Tiger Hill in Darjeeling - Although Tiger Hill is famous for its amazing views of Kanchenjunga, you might also view Mount Everest from here, if you're lucky. From Darjeeling, you would need to reach the steep Seneschal Road which leads to the top of Tiger Hill. There's a view tower in Tiger Hill offering a panoramic view of different mountain ranges aside from the two mentioned above which are: Mount Makalu and Chomol Hari Mountain.
    • Kurseong in Darjeeling - This is about 22 kms from Darjeeling. There's a few accommodations here as well if you'd like to stay the night to be able to view Mount Everest during the sunrise. Its viewpoint called Eagle's Crag has panoramic views of the Kanchenjunga. But on a clear day, you might also be able to see Mount Everest.
    • Ranikhet in Almora - You can find this in Uttarakhand. This is a hill station about 343 kms from Delhi. The Kumaon Regiment of the Indian Army. From here, you can get a clear view of the top of the Mount Everest especially on a clear day.
    • Sandakphu in West Bengal - Four of the highest peaks in world can be viewed here: Everest, Kanchenjunga, Lhotse and Makalu. The most prominent would be the Kanchenjunga but you can get a good view of Everest as well. The stark differences between the two are distinct, Kanchenjunga being bulky and irregular while Everest is more graceful and higher.
    I hope this helps!

12. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

I have also read that you cannot clearly see Mt. Everest from India, the best bet is go to Nepal. But when in India, I guess it is already okay to see the Himalayas, at least the foothills because I understand that a trek to the mountain range would take a great effort and a lot of time. But honestly, I am also interested in seeing Mt. Everest, being the highest mountain and a legend among the kids. But then again, I would suffice in having a selfie with the Himalayas as the background. At least Mr. Everest is there behind those mountains.

13. iamawriter

iamawriter Member

One can have a view of Mount Everest from Darjeeling. A trip to Tiger Hill early in the morning is the right time. The first ray of the sun will hit this gigantic wonder. No doubt if there are clouds you will not get to see it at that time. Some enthusiasts will not return until they have this 'darshan' Along with the Mount Everest the kanchenjunga too stands tall. It is wise to book a hotel that is not very far as the terrain to get there is pretty rough.

Nepal is the right place and there are helicopter or small plane rides that are specially available to have a look at the Himalayas closely. We had booked a flight but had to cancel it as it was very cloudy and the tour operators advised us against it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2017