1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What not to miss in Mumbai

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Maira, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Maira

Maira New Member

Hi Folks

We are backpackers from Israel and this is our second visit to India, in our previous visit, we stayed in Delhi and checked in most of the north Indian city's. This time we want to start from the West and Mumbai is our first destination. My boyfriend and I are planing to stay in Mumbai for 10 days and want to see everything in and around Mumbai. Please suggest us the best places to visit, best street food vendors and something which we should not miss.

In New Delhi we have tried everything starting from the narrow streets of Dariba to Maurya, now its time for Mumbai :)

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Mumbai is definitely a must-see destination in India. It has a lot to offer when it comes to historical sites, cuisines and even hill stations. When in Mumbai, it's essential that you visit these places:

• The Gateway of India. Tourists all over the world flock just to see this majestic monument.
    • Haji Ali. This houses the tomb of Muslim Saint Pir Haji Ali Shah Bukhari. It is a very old structure, around 400 years already which people admire due to its architecture. But it's also a popular place of worship for people.
    • Marine Drive. It is also known as the Queen's Necklace. It is a 4 km long promenade along the South of Bombay. It comes alive during the night when lights go on and accompany the water.
    • Chor Bazaar. It is also known as the Thieves' Market because there used to be stolen goods here. Now, it's mostly vintage and antique goods that you can find here.
    • Elephanta Island. It features rock-cut temples with intricate and beautiful carvings in the walls.
    • Siddhivinayak Temple. Climb the temple to offer your prayers to Lord Ganesha.
    • Kanheri Caves. Known for its natural basalt formations that is similar to Indian style architecture dating as far back as 1st century B.C.
    • Borivali National Park. A wildlife reserve in Mumbai which isn't too big but certainly enough for individuals wanting to escape the city life.
    • Karnala Fort. Has an amazing view of the Bor Pass connecting the Konkan Coast to the Maharashtra.
    • Igatpuri. A hill station in the Nasik District. There are temples, lakes, dams and valleys to explore as well.
    I hope this helps!

P.S.

For street foods, try Pav Bhaji at Sardar's which can be a five minute walk away from the Mumbai Central Station. Or go to Mohammed Ali Road and try the kebab at Sarvi. Yum!

4. oportosanto

oportosanto New Member

How great, backpackers from Israel, welcome to the forum! I think it's awesome to backpack, that's the best way to learn a new place.

Awesome forum right there brianna, quite a few locations you are indicating. When I think India I imagine big cities, but obviously there are big natural attractions like the Borivali National Park you mention.

5. Danny Luke

Danny Luke Member

Mumbai is definitely one of the most-visited cities in India. There are a lot of reasons why. There's too much to see in the city. Here's a quick breakdown of some of the city's most popular attractions.
    1) Gateway of India
    2) Essel World
    3) Elephant Caves
    4) Girgaum Chowpatty
    5) Sanjay Ghandi National Park
    6) Haji Ali Dargah
    7) Babulnath
    8) Kanheri CAves
    9) Jehangir Art Gallery
    10) Mumba Devi Temple

These places make for a great start. Enjoy!

6. Norjak71

Norjak71 New Member

This may sound a little crazy but don't spend all your time trying to see everything you will feel extremely rushed and miss out on just enjoying the culture. What I would do is pick a few things you really want to see but you should also just walk around and enjoy yourself, take in the culture, foods, people and enjoy yourself. If you are rushing around you are likely to miss out on the real reason your going there to begin with. Have fun and be safe!