1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When and what is Goa Carnival

Discussion in 'Goa' started by ManoharSingh, Jan 5, 2015.

1. ManoharSingh

ManoharSingh New Member

I heard a lot about Goa carnival, but till not I am not sure what it is and why it is celebrated. I tried to ask some friends and did try to search it on internet too but it was of no use. Anyone knows what it is and when it is? Is it worth making a trip just to see Goa carnival?

2. Aadi

Aadi Member

Hi

This year Goa carnival is from 14 Feb to 17 Feb and it was started in Goa by Portuguese people somewhere in the 15th century. It is celebrated for 4 days, starting from Saturday before Ash Wednesday. In Christianity, it is the first day of fasting before Easter when christens avoid meat and liquor.

Yes, it's totally worth making a trip to Goa carnival, people come there from all over the world and if you are planning to go then book your hotel room in advance as due to numerous visitors finding an accommodation in this time of the year is next to impossible.

3. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

This has been very interesting to me for a long time. I have a close friend who is Indian, but descended from the early Portuguese in Goa. He is traditionally European looking, a devout Catholic, and speaks Hindi as a natural. Consider this carnival the result of an enclave of Catholicism, just as it is in Brazil. Really interesting tradition, and a bit more religious than in other places. The Portuguese also brought their cuisine to the area. That is one reason why there is an abundance of seafood dishes in the area.

4. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Member

The Goa carnival is a three day festival held just before lent. Its a non-stop party thats lasts for three days and has a wonderful, colourful atmosphere. Theres plenty of amazing floats, which have become even more impressive in recent years now that theres corporate sponsorship of some of them. You'll need a lot of energy for the carnival as it really is non-stop, with dancing and music well into the night. Theres a very spontaneous feel to it as well, with groups of singers that break into song at any moment and will encourage you to join in.

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I just looked up pictures of the Goa Carnival online, since I didn't know about the event before reading about it here! It looks like it would be such a fun thing to attend! I knew that I wanted to visit Goa anyway, since I love beaches and I'd heard of people having a great time there -- but this would just be the icing on the cake if I could attend for this too! I love events that have a fun and friendly party type atmosphere, and it sounds like this would fit that sort of expectation perfectly! It really does remind me of the Brazilian Carnival!

6. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The Goa Carnival dates as far back as 500 years ago. Back when Goa was ruled by the Portuguese, they have this annual, four-day festival before the beginning of Lent season. It was a bit of a mockery at that time, where the "white" rulers become the slaves and the slaves plaster their faces with flour so they can exchange places. The local Konkanis would then watch this entertaining show.

You could say that before, there were traces of Portuguese signs and elements in the carnival. Nowadays, we'd see that it is more Goan in style and elements. With all the colours, from the streamers, to the ribbons, it has become an integral part of the Goan culture and pride.

It is said that the Goa Carnival is the most anticipated event in Goa. Preparations for the show start as early as December. It's not just music and dance that you'd see in the carnival, there's also plays and dramas depicting the tradition, culture and history of Goa.

The carnival usually starts on the Saturday before Ash Wednesday and can continue until Tuesday. It is recommended that you book in advance for tickets and for hotel accommodations as this is the time when tourists flock to Goa to witness the event.

I think it is worth it especially if you like festivities and events. Just seeing the giant floats and the parades are well worth the trip.

I hope this helps!