1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7.5 Quake Hits Pakistan

Discussion in 'Pakistan' started by amelia88, Oct 27, 2015.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I saw on the news overnight that a 7.5 magnitude quake hit Pakistan and Afghanistan. It reported that the north of Pakistan was the affected area, and that entire towns have been destroyed.

Pakistan's Prime Minister was in the UK at the time but is on his way back. The death toll is already at 200 - but I'm unsure from the news article if that's just in Pakistan or a combined total.

Heartbreaking news - the Himalayan region is always earthquake prone, I guess, but after Nepal I didn't think there would be such a big one for quite some time.

2. asd

asd New Member

Overall quake was 8.1 magnitude when still death limit of 243 and more then 1100 are injured in only Pakistan and 3000 home are destroyed only malakand division and how many overall house are destroyed we can't guess .This quake was spared from Afghanistan to India in between Pakistan is totally disturbed.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Oh goodness, so even worse than the initial news reports mentioned. How terrible - but thank you for updating us on the situation there. I hope that all the injured people are okay. It shows just how serious the quake was if there are that many people injured.

Thinking of your country, @asd !

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I'd only just heard the story on the news and then came on here, and there's already a thread about it.

An earthquake of that magnitude is certainly going to do a lot of damage to an area, and I just hope that the death toll won't increase anymore, with it seemingly continuing to rise hourly though, its looking worse and worse.

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Sadly the most recent update I've found since I posted the thread originally says the toll is already up to 350 and climbing. It's so hard with earthquakes because there's really no way to predict when or where they'll happen, apart from identifying that places are earthquake prone areas.

6. Delirium

Delirium Member

This is terrible. I've been reading about it all day. I hope they'll recover as soon as possible. 7.5 is terrifyingly big for an earthquake. The biggest I have experienced was 6.2 back in 2004 (or 2005, I forgot), and I still remember being absolutely terrified as a child watching the pendant lights in our kitchen swing. My heart goes out to all those who are affected.

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I also fear that the death toll will continue to rise, and now they're also talking about other tremors that could cause problems with the rescue work going on, in one of the reports.

While I'm lucky enough to live in a part of the world that doesn't suffer from natural disasters such as this, its hard not to empathise with the people that are over there at the moment.

8. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Member

This is an awful thing to happen, particularly so soon after the devastating quake in Nepal earlier this year, my thoughts and prayers are with all those affected. Aftershocks are common after such a large earthquake and the Earth is likely to rumble again within the next few days. I'm glad that this Earthquake was centered so deeply within the Earth which has at least reduced the damage caused.

9. sillyllucy

sillyllucy Member

I just heard about it from my friend who is working at an orphanage in India! That is horrible!! Word is spreading worldwide. I hope that humanitarian workers get there soon. That is such a huge quake! My prayers for all in Pakistan!

10. HIraeth

HIraeth Member

Every time there is a quake I feel the tremors and think of the catastrophe about to befall so many lives. This time I was in my room in my flat with a few of my friends in Delhi when we suddenly felt the bed shaking under us. Next we saw the mirror wave lightly. Not until something fell in the kitchen did we realize it was yet another quake. We waited for a good 10-15 seconds before deciding to get out of the building. Scarily enough, even when we were standing on solid ground we could still feel the earth move beneath us. And this was only Delhi, hundreds of miles away from the affected area. We knew then and there that this quake was a terrible one. The tectonic plates in the Himalayan region is constantly shifting position. Even a millimeter's dislocation is felt as a terrible disturbance above the ground. It is said that a potentially volatile fault line passes under Delhi as well. I suppose there is not much that can be done. The Earth decides to shake when it does. We can only hope for the best and pray for the hurt.

11. Robert TIganetea

Robert TIganetea New Member

I read some news about the earthquake. Fortunately, Pakistan doesn't have very crowded cities, so the death count is not so big. For example, a very powerful earthquake hit the capital of Romania in 1977, and it basically destroyed half of the buildings, and thousands of people died. This doesn't mean this earthquake wasn't bad. My condoleances to the victim's families.

12. Zhen25

Zhen25 New Member

This was such terrible event. My condolences goes out the family and friends of the victims.