1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delhi to Manali by Car

Discussion in 'Himachal Pradesh' started by RDayal, Jun 17, 2016.

1. RDayal

RDayal New Member

I have decided to self-drive from Delhi to Manali with my family, but the trip would be successful if I can get some help and advice from the forum members.

I have a few questions regarding the journey from Delhi to Manali, and I would be grateful if they could be answered.

1. What is the exact distance from Delhi to Manali?

2. How many times should I stop on the way to Manali from Delhi?

3. At what places should I stop to eat?

4. The road from Delhi to Chandigarh is fine, after which point does the driving get a bit tough?

5. Are there any popular places I should visit on the way to Manali?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The distance from Delhi to Manalis is 535 kms or about 8 to 9 hours of driving.

It depends upon you but normally one to two can be enough. You can consider stopping over at Chandigarh which is 260 kms away from Delhi. This is actually the preferred stopover by many tourists taking the route from Delhi to Manali. There are restaurants, hotels and even a few recreation centres in here.

I'd suggest Chandigarh again as it's halfway through your trip. Here's some of the best restaurants in there:
    • Cafe @ JW. They have an eat-all-you-can package which can be perfect for couples or even families.
    • Swagath. A multi-cuisine restaurant that somehow doesn't look as modern but offers great meals.
    • Backpacker's Cafe. Offers affordable but delicious meals.
    • Pal Dhaba. One of the most popular eateries in Chandigarh. It has budget meals but they don't scrimp on taste.
    It depends on what route you take. Avoid this route: Delhi-Chandigarh-Ropar-Kiratpur Sahib-Mandi-Kullu Bypass-Manali, as after Ropar, road conditions can be very bad. A better route would be: Delhi-Chandigarh-Ropar-Nangal Highway-Nangal-UNA-Bhota-Mandi. It can take longer but generally, the road conditions are better even after Chandigarh.

Well, there's Panipat where you can buy some textiles and carpets. In Karnal, there's the Karma Lakes which has boat rides. Then, in Haveli, consider visiting the Punjab Villages. But for me, just enjoying the sceneries on your way to Manali is already enough as well.

I hope this helps!