1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best sweet shop in Kolkata

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by N.Gopal, Jul 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. N.Gopal

N.Gopal New Member

I am getting a flight to Delhi from Assam via Kolkata. My stay in Kolkata will be for 5 hours and I plan to go out of the airport to get something for my family in Delhi.

They all have a sweet tooth so I have thought of getting some sweets from Kolkata as it is famous for that.

I would like to know which is the best sweet shop in Kolkata and which sweets do you suggest I get?

2. Shiv

Shiv Member

There are three sweet shops in Kolkata which I would recommend.

The first one is Girish Chandra Dey and Nakur Chandra Nandy. This is the oldest sweet shop in Kolkata and is also very popular. The sweets recommended from this sweet shop are misthi doi and ras malai.

KC Das is again another popular sweet shop where you will get the best rasgullas and lyangcha, they also have special sugar free sweets for diabetics. The shop was opened in 1866.

Balaram Mullick and Radharaman Mullick is over a century old and yes another one of the oldest sweet shops in Kolkata. In 2009 and 2010 it was rated as being the best mithai shop in Kolkata. The popular sweet at Balaram Mullick and Radharaman Mullick is the chocolate misthi.

3. iamawriter

iamawriter Member

Food-Mishti-Doi.jpg
    Image credit: Wikimedia commons

Kolkata as you have rightly pointed out is for those with a sweet tooth. Sweets and Kolkata are synonymous to each other
    Here are some of the many dishes for you to choose from

Mohan Bhog
    A sweet based on semolina and obviously sugar too

Lobongo Latika
    That which separates this form other sweet dishes is the addition of nutmeg and scraped coconut among various other ingredients that go to make this a favourite of many

Roshogulla
    Roshogulla and Kolkata are inseparable

Bhapa Doi
    Yoghurt and condensed are the main ingredients

Malai Chom Chom
    The main ingredient is cottage cheese and a touch of kesar

Nolen Gurer Payesh
    A preparation made from rice gur(jaggery) and milk

Pantuwa
    A blend of paneer (cottage cheese) and Khoya, deep fried

Raj Bhog
    This would be my choice A better version of roshogulla with lots of dry fruits , with a touch of kesar.

Mishti Doi
    No one leaves Kolkata without tasting this – a simple sweet curd dish but with a difference.