1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Popular sweet shops in Kolkata

Discussion in 'East India' started by RajeshwariK, Jul 6, 2015.

1. RajeshwariK

RajeshwariK New Member

Related to my previous thread about the street food in Kolkata, I also would now like to know which are the famous sweet shops in Kolkata where I can get the authentic sweets which are of good quality.

2. Deven

Deven Member

The two shops I would recommend are Balaram Mullick Sweet Shop and Gokul Sweets.

3. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

There is a shop at Shyam bazaar called K C Gope who sell good stuff and another one I know if is Hindustan sweets which is at Jadavpur.

There are hundreds of sweet shops at Kolkata and every locality has their own "authentic Bengali" sweet shop so explore a bit.

BayouBilly likes this.
  4. AlapanB

AlapanB Member

The wold famous sweet shops have their home in Kolkata. The Ganguram, Darik's, K.C.Das', Bhimnag are historically famous shops. The new player in the block is Hindustan Sweets.

5. freddi

freddi Member

This is so interesting - I never figured that there might be a 'sweet street' somewhere. I've seen documentaries about Tokyo in Japan where there's a bookshop street and even a street devoted to shops selling nothing but waxy plastic imitation food (which restaurants put in their windows as a sort of advertising). I'm going to have to go and read your other thread now as I don't really know what kind of sweets are sold in India...

6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

How fun! I always like bringing back sweets from my travels to give to family and friends -- they tend to be people's favorite souvenirs! I guess there's something about experiencing a country and culture through their yummy sweets that tends to appeal to people! I'll have to check out some of these places and see if there's anything that would be friendly to bring back through customs - prepackaged things with the ingredients on the labels are usually fine as long as I declare them when I re-enter!

7. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, again!

Bengali sweets are quite common in Kolkata. You can find sweets shops in every nook and corner of the city. Recently, many shops have ventured into tweaking their traditional recipes for a modern twist into their delicacies. Fear not though, because you can still find traditional sweets in many shops in Kolkata. Have a taste of these sweets or maybe bring some home to your loved ones.

Here's a list of the best sweet shops in Kolkata:
    • Balaram Mullick and Radharaman Mullick - This shop is located in: 2, Paddapukur Road, Bhawanipur, Kolkata. I've mentioned this in the previous thread as well but it's worth repeating. They've been in the business for a long time so you're sure about the quality of their sweets. Their best known sweet? It has to be their Chocolate Mishti. Other must try sweets here are: Nolen Gur and Sorrabri.
    • Mithai - You can find this shop in: 48B, Syed Amir Ali Avenue, Ballygunge, Kolkata. This shop is best known for their Misti Doi.
    • Hindustan Sweets - Their exact address is: 3, Tollygunge Circular Road. New Alipore, Kolkata. There's a wide variety of Mishtis here. For starters, try out their Herbal Misthi, which has medicinal properties aside from being delicious.
    • Mouchak - Their location is: 23, Gariahat Road, Golpark, Kolkata. Although almost all their sweets are distinctly delicious, they're well-known for their Sandesh.
    • Girish Chandra Dey and Nakur Chandra Nandy - Their address is: 56, Ramdulal Sarkar Street, Hedua Park, Near Hatibagan, Kolkata. They have a wide variety of Sandesh and be prepared to fight for it as people queue long enough just to have a taste of their signature sweets.
    • Gupta Brothers - Located in: 198, Block J, Opposite Triangular Park, New Alipore, Kolkata. They only have wet sweets made with ghee and lots of it.
    • Dwarik's - Their address is: 126A, Bidhan Sarani, Shyam Bazar, Kolkata. They are best known for their Kachagollas.
    • KC Das - Their location is: Main Outlet, 11A & B, Esplanade East, Kolkata, 700069. The best place for Rosogollas although you must also try their Cham Cham and Misthi Dahi.
    I hope this helps!