1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cochin Airport to Munnar Bus Service

Discussion in 'Kerala' started by Wanderlust, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Wanderlust

Wanderlust Member

I would like to know what's the best possible way to go from Cochin airport to Munnar. Is there any direct bus service from Cochin airport to Munnar or do we need to go to Cochin bus stand from the airport to catch a bus to Munnar? I heard that there are frequent buses to Munnar from Ernakulam. Is it better to hire a taxi from Cochin airport to Ernakulam bus stand? Also how long does the Cochin-Munnar bus journey take? If possible, kindly share the bus timings as well.

2. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

There is no inter-city bus service available from Cochin airport, so you won't get direct buses from Cochin airport to Munnar. There are frequent buses to Munnar from Ernakulam bus stand. You can catch a city bus to Ernakulam from Cochin airport, from where you need to take another bus to reach Munnar. Cochin airport to Ernakulam is around 30 KM and it takes close to 1 hour by bus.

Aluva can be a better alternative to Ernakulam. You can get buses to Munnar from Aluva without entering the Ernakulam city. It is the nearest bus stand to Cochin airport from where you can get a direct bus to Munnar. There are frequent city buses to take you to Aluva from Cochin airport - which is just around 12 KM away. Aluva to Munnar distance is just about 115 KM. There are lots of KSRTC buses to Munnar from Aluva bus stand. You need not have to purchase tickets in advance. Just go to the bus stand and board your bus to Munnar. It takes around 3.5 hours to arrive at Munnar from Aluva by bus.

3. Wrangler

Wrangler New Member

We travelled from Cochin airport to Munnar by bus via Perumbavoor. We hired a taxi from airport to Perumbavoor bus stand for Rs 150. Perumbavoor just around 10-12 Km away from the airport and it is a major bus stand. Frequency of buses to Munnar is higher than Aluva bus stand.

As soon as we reached the bus stand, we found that there was a bus ready to depart for Munnar and luckily it had a few vacant seats. It took a little less than 4 hours to reach Munnar. The bus fare from Perumbavoor to Munnar is around 120 bucks. Hope the information helps.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello!

As far as I know, there is no direct bus service from Cochin Airport to Munnar. You would need to go to the KSRTC Bus Stand or the Vyttila Mobility Hub to ride a bus going to Munnar.

Yes, there are actually KSRTC buses operating from the KSRTC Bus Station to Munnar. There are buses almost every hour going to Munnar. Then there are also private buses operating from Vyttila Mobility Hub to Munnar. The Vyttila Mobility Hub is about 5 kms from the KSRTC Bus Station. In the Vyttila Mobility Hub, there are buses every 30 minutes going to Munnar.

Yes, a taxi might be more convenient, the distance between the airport and the bus stand is about 36 kms. It can take 45 minutes or an hour before you reach the bus stand via taxi. Rates vary but expect to pay anywhere between Rs. 900 to Rs. 1,000. There are also buses operating from the airport to Ernakulam, Aluva and Vyttila. That's another option you can take since buses are cheaper. There was two departure times I was able to find:
    • Bus JNK1 departs at 20:05 and goes through Aluva, Vyttila and Ernakulam.
    • Bus JNK14 departs at 20:50 and goes through Aluva, Vyttila and Ernakulam..
    Ernakulam is about 130 kms away from Cochin, that can take anywhere between 4 to 5 hours depending on delays and stopovers.

The bus timings vary and it's better to contact the KSRTC Office. But for reference, here's a time table I was able to find:

KSRTC Bus Timings from Bus Station in Ernakulam to Munnar

5:10 AM, 6 AM, 6:15 AM, 7:30 AM, 8:15 AM, 9:45 AM, 12 Noon, 12:45 PM, 1:45 PM, 3 PM, 4:50 PM, 5:45 PM

Private Bus Timings from Vyttila Mobility Hub to Munnar

2:30 AM, 3:12 AM, 4:32 AM

I hope this helps!