1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delhi to Jaipur by road

Discussion in 'North India' started by CJF8, Aug 31, 2016.

1. CJF8

CJF8 New Member

I am going from Delhi to Jaipur on 13th September. This will be my first time that I would be driving towards Jaipur, and I would like some advice regarding the whole Delhi to Jaipur by road trip.

I have a few questions which would make my travel a lot easier for me.

1. What route should I take for Delhi to Jaipur?

2. What is the road distance from Delhi to Jaipur?

3. What are the road conditions like from Delhi to Jaipur?

4. Is there some place to see on the way to Jaipur?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello there, welcome to the forum!

There are two routes that you can take to reach Jaipur from Delhi:
    • Route No. 1 via NH8 - Delhi > Gurgaon > Neemrana > Kotputli > Shahpura > Jaipur.
    This route is about 270 kms long. It can take you four hours or more to cover this distance. This is the shortest route that you can use to reach Jaipur. If you're coming from Gurgaon or Noida, this is also the best route that you can choose.

From Delhi to Gurgaon, diversions and traffic are both given. Roads are well laid out though and there aren't bad stretches. Roads are also four-lanes but because of the traffic, it can take you some time to reach Gurgaon, especially during rush hours.

From Neemrana to Shahpura, the roads are in good condition. However, the constant traffic is due to the trucks occupying the side roads. So be prepared for that and as much as possible, leave very early in the morning.

From Shahpura to Jaipur, it's a good stretch and you can reach Jaipur in under an hour without traffic. This route also has tolls so it's well-maintained when it comes to road conditions.
    • Route No. 2 via NH21 - Delhi > Gurgaon > Bhiwadi > Tijara > Chikani > Alwar > Bamanpura > Dausa > Jaipur.
    This route is about 315 kms long. It can take you five hours or less to cover this distance. This is considered the alternative route to the NH8 one. Unlike the former, this route has majority of two lanes only. But it has considerably less traffic than NH8. It's also longer but more scenic, in a way.

From Delhi to Gurgaon, refer to the road conditions posted above. From Gurgaon to Alwar, road conditions are good, almost the same as NH8 but undeniably less traffic. You can go a bit faster with your car's speed unlike with the previous route where you have to maintain slow speeds.

From Alwar to Jaipur, you might encounter some diversions. But it's nothing too bad and overall the roads are in good condition.

It depends upon you what route you'd like to take. Both are okay and have their advantages. If you'd like to reach Jaipur faster, then take the first route. If you'd like a more scenic route with less congestions, then consider the second route. Also, the second route is more apt if you're aiming to do some sightseeing in Alwar, which has some good attractions to visit.

It depends on what route you take:
    • Route No. 1 via NH8 - This route is 270 kms in total distance.
    • Route No. 2 via NH21 - This route is 315 kms in total distance.
    I've mentioned the road conditions for the two routes above. Overall, the road conditions are good. Your biggest problem would be the traffic and congestion due to trucks in the highway. It's best to leave early morning, before 6:00 am, from Delhi, in order to avoid these trucks and congestion.

On the first route, you can try and do some sightseeing in Shahpura. Here are the attractions in the city:
    • Charbhuja Temple - This is also known as the Charbhuja Nath Temple. It is dedicated to the Lord Vishnu and the temple was built around the 1400 AD. The temple's presiding deity is Shri Charbhuja Ji, who has an 85 cm high statue here.
    • Trimurti Smarak - This is a memorial dedicated to the three freedom fighters, namely: Jarawar Singh, Keshri Singh and Pratap Singh. Just nearby the memorial, you can also find the haveli of Keshri, one of the three freedom fighters. The haveli is now under the management of the Archaeological Survey of India.
    • Ramdwara - This is the place of worship for the devotees of Ramsnehi Sampradaya. The Ramdwara in Shahpura was sponsored by the then King of Shahpura, Maharaja Amar Singh, and his brother Chattra Singh. It was made using marbles, with each marble stone having a distinct picture and mark on it.
    On the second route, you can try and do some sightseeing in Alwar. Here are some of its attractions:
    • Sariska National Park - This used to be a hunting reserve in the state. In 1955, the reserve was declared as a wildlife sanctuary. In 1978, it became a part of the Project Tiger and became a tiger reserve. This is also the first tiger reserve in the world to successfully relocated a tiger. In 2014, there were about 14 tigers in the reserve. Aside from tigers, animals like Indian leopards, striped hyenas, chinkaras, chitals, sambars and wild boars can also be spotted here.
    • Siliserh Lake - This is an artificial lake made by Maharaja Vinay Singh in 1844. It was named Siliserh after his queen Seela. The story goes that Mangal Singh went hunting and stumbled upon the village of Kishanpur. There, he fell in love with Silika, the daughter of the village chief. Silika's father saw them together, engaged in deep conversation, and he got angry. He ordered for the marriage of the two. The two got married and settled in the City Palace. However, upon the death of Silika's offspring, she got sad and wanted to go back home to her parents. So Mangal Singh built a small palace beside the lake for the queen. A few months later, Silika died because of despair due to her child's death.
    • Vinay Vilas Mahal - This was built in 1793 AD by Raja Bakhtawar Singh. It is also known as the City Palace. It was once the residence of the royalties of Alwar. Now though, most of the complex has been converted into municipal and government offices. There's also a museum here which houses the royal costumes, manuscripts and weaponry of the royals.
    • Bala Qila - This is also known as Alwar Fort. It was built by Hasan Khan Mewati in the 16th century. There are about 15 large and 51 smaller towers within the fort. Most of the inner structures of the fort are now in ruins although it still exudes some vibe of the colonial era.
    I hope this helps.:)