1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delhi to Manali by Road Time

Discussion in 'North India' started by Akilesh, May 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Akilesh

Akilesh New Member

I am from Jaipur, and I will be going on a holiday with my family and our first stop will be in Delhi where we will be sightseeing. From there on we will head to Manali for a 10-day stay.
    I would like to know what the Delhi to Manali by road time is?

What time do you suggest we leave for Manali?

Where should we stop on the way to Manali?

Should it be an overnight stay or a short 1-2 hour break?

2. JaiPatra

JaiPatra New Member

It would take you around 14 hours to reach Manali from Delhi, as you be covering roughly 550km.

It is always a good idea to leave Delhi early so that you get caught up in any Delhi traffic which is the worst thing. I would suggest leaving 4 am or latest 5 am for Manali.

You have two options either stop at Swarghat or Bilaspur. Stopping at Chandigarh would be useless as it is only four hours away from Delhi.

It all depends on how you feel driving. Some people manage to make the whole straight drive from Delhi to Manali and some need a stopover.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, Akilesh! Welcome to the forum!

There are two routes you can take to reach Manali from Delhi:
    • Route No. 1 via NH44 - This route is about 538 kms. It's about 12 hours or more of travel time.
    • Route No. 2 via NH9 - This route is about 645 kms. It's 14 hours or more of travel time.
    With these two routes, your journey to reach Manali from Delhi is estimated to be about 13 or more hours. This also depends on what time of the day you leave and how many stopovers you take along the way. Also, travel time depends on what mode of transportation you decide to take. Buses are slower than cars. On the other hand, airplanes are the fastest mode of transportation especially with good weather conditions.

I would suggest leaving early in the morning to avoid the morning rush in Delhi.

So first, here's a possible route you can take:
    • Delhi > Sonipat > Panipat > Kurukshetra > Ambala > Chandigarh > Rupnagar > Bilaspur > Sundernagar > Mandi > Kullu > Manali.
    Many travellers opt for a halt in Chandigarh and do some sightseeing there. But since your main destination, Manali, is about 13 hours away, it's better to halt at Bilaspur, which is about 7 to 8 hours away from Delhi. It's halfway to your journey.

However, for meals or toilet breaks, you can do that in Panipat and Chandigarh. Then, after Bilaspur, several breaks in Mandi and Kullu can be done as well.

I would recommend an overnight stay as the journey is quite long. And if you have children or elderly people with you, it's better to halt for the night. It's still up to you though.

Here are some budget accommodation options in Bilaspur:

1. Hotel Shyama - This hotel has been around since 1998. It is located right at the heart of the city in Tarbahar Chowk. The hotel has a vegetarian restaurant called Rasoi. Travel assistance and laundry services can be availed for in the hotel.
    • Tariff: Standard AC Room at Rs. 990.
    • Amenities: Colour television, hot/cold water in bathroom, lift facility and WiFi.
    • Address: Tarbahar Chowk, Bilaspur, Chhattisgarh 495001.
    2. Hotel Down Town - This hotel is conveniently located near the railway station and the hospital in Bilaspur. They have a multi-cuisine restaurant as well as coffee shop. They also have conference and banquet facilities.
    • Tariff: Classic Room at Rs. 1,800.
    • Amenities: Television, bedside table and hot/cold water in bathroom.
    • Address: Seepat Road, Rajkishor Nagar, Bilaspur, Chhattisgarh 495006.
    3. Hotel Vinayak Palace - This hotel is also centrally located with access to commercial and business areas of the city. The hotel has a multi-cuisine restaurant as well conference halls. They also have a WiFi zone for guests.
    • Tariff: Deluxe Room at Rs. 1,299.
    • Amenities: Television, telephone, wardrobe cabinet, bedside table and hot/cold water in bathroom.
    • Address: Telipara, Bilaspur, Chhattisgarh 495001.
    I hope this helps.

:)