1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Delhi to Manali by Car

Discussion in 'North India' started by Chibbar, May 21, 2016.

1. Chibbar

Chibbar New Member

I will be leaving for Manali from Delhi in the early morning hours of Wednesday, and since it will be very early will have to stop over for breakfast, and I would like some suggestions on where to stop.
    I don't think I need to mention that I would like the place to be hygienic and of course to serve delicious food.

I don't want any fast food chain suggestions like McDonalds's.

Just in case we miss our breakfast time and decide to keep driving until midday, please also suggest a place to stop at for lunch.

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Just before the flyover where you take a right turn for Chandigarh there is a South Indian restaurant where they serve excellent breakfast choices. It is a South Indian restaurant but they do have some North Indian stuff including paranthas and cholae poorie.

Chandigarh is just three and a half hours if you leave 3AM ish and another two hours to Shimla from there. If you do not stop by at Chandigarh or the restaurant that I have suggested above then stop at Shimla at some restaurant there.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello there!

So the route you have to take to reach Manali is this:
    • New Delhi > Sonipat > Panipat > Karnal > Kurukshetra > Ambala > Rupnagar > Bilaspur > Mandi > Kullu > Manali.
    So usually, stopovers are in the Ambala - Chandigarh Highway. However, since you'd like to eat breakfast along your journey, the halt would have to be much earlier.

For breakfast, stopovers can be at Panipat or Karnal. I can recommend these restaurants in Panipat:
    • Food Garage - The theme of this restaurant is vintage cars, which you'd see across the interiors. Food here is good especially for the price you pay. Their exact address is: 330-R Near Lal Tanki Market, Panipat 132103.
    • Shubham Restaurant - They have Chinese and Mediterranean cuisines. The restaurant is very hygienic and neat as well. Meals are very affordable and they have a variety of vegetarian dishes. Their address is: Assandh Road, Near Haryana Petrol Pump, Madlauda, Israna, Panipat 132107.
    • Buddies Cafe - They have Chinese dishes. Food here is average but will do for a road trip. Their address is: Panipat, Panipat 132103.
    You have more options in Karnal. But my recommendations are the following:
    • Neelkanth Star Dhaba - They have Indian, Chinese and Asian cuisines. Try out their aloo paratha and dal makhni. The design of the restaurant is very simple. It's also well-maintained and clean. Their address is: National Highway-1, Grand Trunk Road, Karnal 13200.
    • Shefali Restaurant - They have Indian and Asian cuisines. Try out their butter chicken and tandoori. Their address is: Civil Hospital Chowk, Karnal.
    • Jhilmil - They have Indian cuisine. This is a pure vegetarian restaurant and the cleanliness is good enough here. Their address is: GT Road, Karnal.
    • Daana Paani - They have Indian, Chinese and Asian cuisines. This is mainly a food court with several eateries around. It's relatively well-maintained as well. Their address is: Sector 45, National Highway-1, Adjacent to Chd City Entrance, Karnal 132001.
    For lunch, stopover can be at Bilaspur. Here are your options:
    • Rasoi Vegetarian Restaurant - Good restaurant for Indian vegetarian dishes. Their thali has a huge serving size as well. Cleanliness of the restaurant is fine although at times, it's not that clean. But still generally clean compared to other restaurants. Their address is: Tarbahar Chowk, Bilaspur.
    • Shri Bhagwan Vegetarian Thali Restaurant - The unlimited thali here is only for Rs. 90. It's a very clean and maintained restaurant although service is a bit slow. Their address is: Karona Chowk, Juni Lines, Bilaspur 495001.
    I hope this helps.:)

ThePoorNomad likes this.