1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delhi to Manali by Train

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Seema Sharma, May 21, 2016.

1. Seema Sharma

Seema Sharma New Member

Me and my boyfriend are planning a trip to Manali this Summer and he insists on driving to Manali and I do not like the idea of being on the roads for such a long distance as I realise it is a long way from Delhi.

I was wondering if there are trains from Delhi to Manali or some near by place where we can take a taxi to Manali from the railway station if there is no railway station at Manali.

I would appreciate if some one could help me with different trains from Delhi to Manali and how long it takes.

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Manali is not connected to the rail network and it is highly unlikely that we would see that happening in our life time. If you insist on taking a train to Manali then your best options are to take a train from Delhi to Chandigarh and take a bus from Chandigarh to Manali.

You could also take a train from Kalka to Shimla and then a bus from Shimla to Manali but you would end up traveling a lot more as compared to taking a bus from Chandigarh.

Having given all the options that I know of for going to Manali by train or shall we say half way to Manali by train, I personally believe your best bet is taking an over night Volvo bus from Delhi to Manali and arrive at Manali early morning if you do not want to drive. Having your own vehicle at Manali is going to be helpful only if you are going to stay outside the town somewhere in a village or a remote location for getting your daily stuff but if you would be staying at a resort or a hotel in Manali you won't really need your car and going by bus would be a great option.

I hope this helps.

Seema Sharma likes this.

3. Seema Sharma

Seema Sharma New Member

I have decided I will take the Volvo bus from Delhi to Manali instead of a train to Chandigarh as it hardly makes any sense.

Although I have decided to take the bus to Manali now but I definitely remember a friend telling me about their train journey to Manali from Delhi so I wonder what was that all about.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello there!

Like what has been said, there are no direct trains from Delhi to Manali. You have two other options besides Chandigarh Railway Station, but they're not really better as compared to this one. However, for information purposes. I'm still going to post them here:

1. Delhi to Chandigarh - For this route, you have three train options:
    • Kalka Shatabdi Train No. 12005 - This train departs daily at 17:15 and arrives at 20:40.
    • Kalka Shatabdi Train No. 12011 - This train departs daily at 7:50 and arrives at 11:45.
    • Unchahar Express Train No. 14217 - This train departs daily at 3:36 and arrives at 9:25.
    This is your best option. From Chandigarh, you can ride a bus going to Manali, which is about 320 kms away. Buses depart from Chandigarh ISBT Sector 43. Buses are operated by HRTC:
    • Him Mani Deluxe - Departs at 8:30 am and arrives at 6:30 pm.
    • Him Mani Deluxe - Departs at 8:40 pm and arrives at 6:30 am.
    You can also ride a taxi from Chandigarh to Manali.

Travel time: About 15 hours.

2. Delhi to Una - Technically, Una is the nearest railway station to Manali. However, you'd have to take a taxi from Una to Manali. There are no buses available. Some train timings are:
    • Himachal Express Train No. 14553 - Departs daily at 22:55 and arrives at 7:48.
    • Una Jan Shatabdi Train No. 12057 - Departs daily at 14:53 and arrives at 22:10.
    Travel time: About 13 to 14 hours.

3. Delhi to Kalka to Shimla - You can also board a train from Howrah passing by Delhi Junction to Kalka. Here is the timing:
    • Howrah Delhi Kalka Mail Train No. 12311 - Departs daily at 19:40 from Howrah Junction and arrives in Kalka at 4:30.
    From Kalka, board a connecting train to Shimla. Some train timings are:
    • Shivalk Deluxe Express Train No. 52451 - Departs daily at 5:30 and arrives at 10:15.
    • Kalka Simla Express Train No. 52453 - Departs daily at 6:00 and arrives at 11:05.
    The above trains from Kalka to Shimla are toy trains that take for ever to reach Shimla. Road journey is just two hours from Kalka to Shimla and if you go by road you dont have to go Shimla atall so over all it is a waste of time.
    From Shimla, you can take a bus or taxi to Manali.

Travel time: 13 to 14 hours.

I hope this helps!