1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food Prepared In The Uk Vs In India ?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Skitmaker, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Skitmaker

Skitmaker New Member

When I lived in the UK, I often find myself purchasing Indian food and order takeaways. However, I had some Indian house mates before and the food that they cooked always smell different. I'm not talking about quality, because I haven't tried their food yet (it's theirs) but to my nose it always seemed like Indian food in the UK used a lot more curry powder than it should have. Is it just my nose going crazy, or maybe the way it's cooked is different ? I know that it's not a problem with the spices, my house mates also bought his stuffs from the same store (Morrison's if you're interested).

2. Mindy

Mindy Member

That's true, actually. I have always found that while in the US, I only associated real Indian food with the smell of curry. However, from what I've heard, in India they use a lot of different spices. While curry is a main one, there are lots of others that are used, and the food is quite different there.

3. Skitmaker

Skitmaker New Member

Indian food cooked by my housemates always had a smell similar to Thai food to my nose. There seems to be a lot more nuances and a lot of sweet flavor in the recipe. The curry smell in some food in the UK is almost too overbearing and it limits the taste quite a bit, which is such a shame.

4. Indyra

Indyra Member

Really? I wonder if what your housemates were cooking were actually Indian dishes. To me, Thai food and Indian food both have distinctive smells which are not at all alike.

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I think to myself that a lot of the time when a cuisine is taken to a different country, it changes a bit. For instance, a good example is Mexican food here in the States. It's not really the same as "true" Mexican food in a lot of places -- there's a lot of Tex-Mex style cuisine going on. So it might just be that it's a more British take on Indian cuisine. A lot of places here that serve curries too are probably not as spicy as they would be in their home countries of origin.

6. TravelCheap3

TravelCheap3 Member

For the time that I was in India, I went to quite a few restaurants. I've always really liked Indian food, but that was in Canada. When I was in India the places that I went to had very nice food! I believe on was called New Delhi. Such nice atmosphere and it's a must to visit.

7. Skitmaker

Skitmaker New Member

My country is very close to Thailand (1 hour flight) and I can tell you that Thai food is not at all similar in Vietnam and Thailand. As for the cooking, I think it's more to the fact that he used a variety of spices in his dish. Thai cooking, for example, use more coconut milk and less pepper than they do it in the UK.