1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ghats Of Varanasi

Discussion in 'North India' started by Janaya, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Janaya

Janaya New Member

I will be in Varanasi shortly and I am looking forward to seeing the ghats of Varanasi.

I have joined this forum to get some help in finding out what are the famous ghats of Varanasi. I would then try finding suitable accommodation near these ghats.

Thank you.

2. Deven

Deven Member

There are eight famous ghats in Varanasi which you should not miss seeing.

Assi Ghat - The Assi Ghat is where the river Ganges meets the river Assi. The ghat is not as crowded as the other ghats but is a common place where people stay for a long duration during their stay in Varanasi.

Chet Singh Ghat - The Chat Singh Ghat is most commonly known for its historical reasons. This is where Maharaja Chet Singh fought with the British during the 18th century.

Man Mandir Ghat - The Man Mandir Ghat is known for the Rajput architecture made by Maharajah Man Singh who was from Jaipur. There is also a palace there which was built in 1600.

Darbhanga Ghat - Darbhanga Ghat is a popular ghat amongst the photographers, as the sight is absolutely amazing as well as the architectural views. There is a palace at the ghat where you can also stay at.

Dasaswamedh Ghat - The Dasaswamedh Ghat is a known for being one of the top attractions in Varanasi as it is one of the oldest and holiest ghats in Varanasi. The Dasaswamedh Ghat is where the famous Ganga aarti takes place in the evening. The historical significance of this ghat is that the ghat was created to welcome Lord Shiva. There is always a carnival going on at the ghat which is why you would see a large number of pilgrims, flower sellers, beggars and priests there.

Manikarnika Ghat - The Manikarnika Ghat is also commonly known as the burning ghat, and as many may know this is the place in Varanasi where bodies are cremated. It is also the same place where ashes are scattered in the River Ganges.

Scindhia Ghat - The Scindhia Ghat is known for being one of the calm ghats in Varanasi. There is a half-submerged Shiva Temple which sank into the water in 1830. In the small alleyways at this ghat there are many important temples which pilgrims visit.

Bhonsale Ghat - The Bhonsale Ghat is a ghat built by the Maratha Kind Bhansale of Nagpur. There are three important temples at this ghat, Yameshwar Temple, Lakshminarayan Temple and Yamaditya Temple.