1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bus From Varanasi To Bodhgaya

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Kumar, May 1, 2016.

1. Kumar

Kumar New Member

I am in Varanasi for religious reasons and have another two days here, after which I would like to make plans of visiting Bodhgaya to see the religious places.

I would like to know whether there are any bus services which go from Varanasi to Bodhgaya?

How frequent are the buses?

How long does it take to reach Bodhgaya from Varanasi?

2. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

There is daily deluxe bus service between Varansi and Bodhgaya. It should take about three hours. There are other buses available, as well, but I am not sure if they leave from the same station.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Kumar! Welcome to the forum!

I wasn't able to find direct buses from Varanasi to Bodhgaya. Your other alternatives are:

1. Your best option would be to take a train from Varanasi to Gaya. There are plenty of trains plying this route. Some of them are:
    • Mahabodhi Express Train No. 12398 - This train runs daily, departs at 00:30 and arrives at 5:25.
    • Amritsar Kolkata Super Fast Express Train No. 12358 - This train runs during Tuesdays and Fridays only. Departure is at 1:10 and arrival is at 4:40.
    • New Delhi Ranchi Rajdhani Train No. 12440 - This train runs during Tuesdays and Saturdays only. Departure is at 1:28 and arrival is at 3:30.
    • Sealdah Express Train No. 12314 - This train runs daily, departs at 1:30 and arrives at 6:34.
    From Gaya, there are buses going to Bodh Gaya directly. You can also take a taxi or ride an auto rickshaw.

2. You can also take a train from Varanasi to Patna. The great things about these trains are that they are punctual and fast. Some timings are:
    • Azimabad Express Train No. 12947 - This train runs Wednesdays and Fridays only. Departure is 1:00 and arrival is 4:30.
    • Mumbai LTT Rajendar Nagar Bihar Express Train No. 13202 - This train runs daily, departure is 4:10 and arrival is 9:30.
    • Amritsar Howrah Mail Train No. 13006 - This train departs daily at 16:55 and arrives at 21:40.
    From Patna, there are buses going to Gaya.

Like I said, there are no direct buses from Varanasi to Gaya. The frequency of buses from Patna to Gaya are few though. There are only two buses plying this route everyday.

The distance between Bodh Gaya and Varanasi is about 255 kms. Travel time is anywhere between 4 to 6 hours, by bus or train.

I hope this helps!