1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Health Issues?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Norjak71, May 5, 2016.

1. Norjak71

Norjak71 New Member

Is India a place where my family would have to be worried about health issues? I know some places they actually tell you to constantly sanitize your hands and I don't know if this is one of them. I really couldn't find a lot of info about this online either.

2. Destiny

Destiny Member

I guess that really depends on where you are going on India. Some places aren't very sanitary and you are required to get vaccines of you travel there from certain countries.

3. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

Depends on where you're going. In some places, it's as clean as any first world country. In some though, especially in the poorer areas, sanitation is really an issue, as well as food-borne and water-borne diseases. Best just be cautious and wash your hands before every meal and all that. Make sure to get vaccinations too, and do your research when going to a country to see which diseases are prevalent in their country and learn how to avoid them. You should do this in every country you visit. Good luck!

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

As with any person travelling another country, these tips I can give you aren't just for India but as a whole, a guide when it comes to safety and health when travelling:
    • Make sure that you're up to date with your vaccines particularly vaccines like flu, MMR, DPT and varicella. You can also opt for a Hepatitis A and Typhoid vaccine, this is to protect you in case you eat contaminated food or water.
    • Only drink bottled water from countries where tap water isn't safe.
    • Make sure that the food that is served to you is hot, not room temperature.
    • Be cautious when trying out street foods especially if your stomach isn't strong enough for it.
    • Always carry a sanitiser or alcohol with you so even if there's no soap or water in the place you're visiting, you can still clean your hands.
    Generally, India is a safe country and you only need to be careful to stay safe in it. As with any other country, you're at the risk of diseases if you don't abide by these general guidelines. So take care and I hope this helps you!

5. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

India is not the cleanest country, but that is not a problem for most tourists. Most places a tourist would go are just fine. But whenever you travel you should be aware of germs and have heightened hygiene. There are new germs when you travel, and the stress of travel will impact your immune system. It is better to take precautions. But that is generally using soap to wash your hands, and keeping clean.

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

As others have said, tourists need to be careful when going to any country as the cleanliness might not be up to the standards you expect, and get in your own country.

That isn't to say that it's un-hygienic, it's just different to what you'd be used to, but basic hygiene is all that you'd need to adhere to.

7. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

Where are you going in particular? If you're going to New Delhi, the capital then expect a highly urbanized city and for hygienic reasons we bring a hand sanitizer or alcohol everywhere don't we? Or is that just me? If you're going to a provincial town then it would be safe to bring your own soap and mosquito repellent or medication if you have them just to counter the natural environment.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I think it might just be you, haha! Seriously though, while I do take shower gels and other toiletries, I've never really contemplated taking anything like specific hand sanitizer's or anything like that.

Although after reading your post, I'll think about it more now for in the future!

9. tabby

tabby Member

Bringing one's own hand sanitizer is pretty common these days. Don't worry, you're not alone.

As the others already suggested, it's best you get the necessary vaccines if you are truly concerned about health issues. Sometimes hysteria can kick in, and let you experience symptoms because of consuming thoughts on health issues. If it give you peace of mind, please by all means do all the necessary health protection that will allow you to enjoy your vacation in India. Additionally, just be careful with what you eat. Whether hygienic or not, sometimes our body's composition is just different. That is, two people (tourist/local) eating the same food may only affect the tourist. The food may not necessarily be bad, but it's just that a foreigner's body may still be in the process of adjusting to the new taste, ingredients, spices, etc. and so may end up sick.

10. lisasian86

lisasian86 New Member

I would think it's best to keep hand sanitizer on you and make sure you are sensible about where you get your food from but that's the same advice I would give regardless of the destination.

11. integrity101

integrity101 Member

It all depends on where you are visiting but there are many hygienic hotels and residences all across the country. Be advised, however, that tap water is a no no wherever you go.

12. PerhapsIndia

PerhapsIndia New Member

Thanks for the tips here, are there any weird or peculiar sicknesses or flu type problems that are worth looking out for? We have an obscure sickness here that only stays in the valley generally, wondering if India has some of the same