1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hemis National Park

Discussion in 'Wildlife and National Parks' started by chetanmaggo, Jun 11, 2016.

1. chetanmaggo

chetanmaggo New Member

I will be in Leh soon, and I have just come to know that there is a national park there by the name of Hemis National Park. I have been to quite a few national parks, and I think the park in Leh would be quite different because of the location and climate there, and I would be able to see animals which you would not be seen elsewhere in India.
    I would like to know more about Hemis National Park and get some reviews, by which I would decide whether it is worth visiting the park or not.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The Hemis National Park is located 10 kms away from Leh, so it's just a walkie distance from it. Another name for it is Hemis High Altitude National Park. With a huge area of about 4,400 square kms, it is considered as the second largest park in Asia.

It is the home for many endangered animals like:

• The snow leopard
    • The Eurasian brown bear
    • The Tibetan wolf
    • The red fox
    There are also about 70 species of birds that can be seen here, perfect for bird watchers. About 16 mammalian species can be found here as well. The Hemis Monastery can also be found inside the park. Aside from that, you can also camp and trek in the park.

I think it's worth it to visit the park. The chances of seeing the snow leopard is very low, higher though in the winter. But there is lots more to see aside from the snow leopard. If you love nature, then a trip to the park is mandatory. Adventure lovers can partake in trekking as well.

Good luck!