1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to change address in passport?

Discussion in 'Visa and Passport' started by Omi77, Sep 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Omi77

Omi77 New Member

I have recently shifted to Mumbai from Delhi, and I need to change my address on my current passport which is still valid for another five years.

I would like to know how to change the address in my passport and what procedures should be followed. I require my passport quite soon as I may need to travel, so I am hoping the address would not take too long.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello there, welcome to the forum!

So for changing the address in your Indian passport, the procedures are the same as applying for a re-issue of passport. Here are the steps that you need to take:

1. Create an account in the Passport Seva Online Portal website, log into that account and click on the Apply for New Passport/Reissue of Passport link.

2. From this point, you have two options: either download the e-Form which is an XML file and fill out the application offline or fill out the application through the website completely. If you download the XML file, you need to upload it again after completing it. If you fill out the application online, you only need to click Submit once you have completed it. Make sure that you change your address into the current address that you're living in at this point.

3. After completion of the application form, you can then click the Pay and Schedule Appointment link. Choose your mode of payment, from debit/credit card, bank deposit or bank drop. Also, choose your schedule for the appointment. Pay the required fees and keep your receipt, the payment will usually appear in the system after two to three days.

4. Once you receive the Application Receipt, print it and keep it until your scheduled appointment.

5. Go to the respective Passport Seva Kendra or Regional Passport Office specifically on the date in the application.

As you can see, the procedures are just the same as when applying for a new passport. The documents mandatory for the re-issue of the passport are the following, so that you can change your address:
    • Printed copy of the online completed application form with the Application Reference Number
    • Application receipt
    • Old passport with photocopies of its first and last two pages
    • Proof of present address
    So for the proof of present address, here are some accepted documents for it:
    • Water bill
    • Telephone bill, either landline or postpaid mobile phone
    • Electricity bill
    • Income tax assessment order
    • Election Commission Photo ID Card
    • Proof of gas connection
    • Certificate from employer of reputable company
    • Spouse's passport copy
    • Aadhaar Card
    • Registered rent agreement
    • Photo passbook of running bank account
    That's it, once you arrive at the Passport Seva Kendra Office or Regional Passport Office, you can change your passport's address to your current address. Just bring these necessary documents for proofs. It's a bit lengthy and you'd have to pay additional fees so make sure that you have your address right and other information as well.

I hope this helps you!

P.S.

For quicker processing of your passport, you can also opt for a Tatkal instead of Normal in the Type of Application. The fees would be higher for this as well.

3. Deven

Deven Member

To change the address on your passport in Mumbai, you will need to follow these general steps:

1. Visit the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK):
      • Schedule an appointment at the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) online through the official Passport Seva website.
    2. Complete Online Application:
      • Fill out the application form for a reissue of the passport on the Passport Seva website. Provide the updated address details.
    3. Document Verification:
      • Carry all the necessary supporting documents, including proof of your new address (utility bills, rental agreement, etc.), the original passport, and any other documents mentioned on the application form.
    4. Visit the PSK on Appointment Day:
      • On the scheduled day, visit the PSK with the required documents. Biometric information may be collected during your visit.
    5. Payment of Fees:
      • Pay the applicable fees online or at the PSK. The fees may vary depending on the type of service and the validity period of the passport.
    6. Passport Processing:
      • After document verification, your application will be processed. The new passport with the updated address will be sent to your registered address.
    7. Track Application Status:
      • You can track the status of your application online using the application reference number.
    8. Collect Passport:
      • Once the passport is ready, you will receive an SMS or email notification. You can collect the updated passport from the PSK.
    Important Points:

• The processing time may vary, but it is generally within a few weeks.
    • Be sure to carry all the original documents, as well as photocopies, for verification.
    • The process may be subject to changes, so it's advisable to check the official Passport Seva website or contact the Passport Seva Kendra for the latest information.
    Keep in mind that these are general guidelines, and it's essential to check for any updates or changes in the procedures on the official Passport Seva website.