1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to go to Taj Mahal from Delhi?

Discussion in 'North India' started by Manish, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Manish

Manish New Member

I am from Toronto soon going to be in India for my holiday. One of the places I have to see during my visit to India is the Taj Mahal.

I don't know anyone in Delhi as I am not from around the area, so I need some help in finding out how to go to Taj Mahal from Delhi?

I was planning on getting a taxi as the journey would be comfortable, please suggest!

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi, @Manish! Welcome to the forum!

The distance between Delhi and the Taj Mahal is about 236 kilometres. It can take you about 4 hours or less to cover this distance. Here are your transportation options from Delhi to the Taj Mahal:

1. By UPSRTC Bus - The Uttar Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation operates several buses plying from Delhi to Agra. Here are their timings:
    • UPSRTC (Volvo Bus) - They have four daily buses plying this route starting at 7:30 am, 10:00 am, 1:30 pm until 7:00 pm. These buses depart from the Sarai Kale Khan ISBT. They then arrive in Agra at around 11:00 am, 1:30 pm, 4:30 pm and 10:00 pm, respectively. Fare is around Rs. 595 per passenger. Duration go journey is about 3 hours and 30 minutes.
    • UPSRTC (Jan Rath AC Bus) - They have two daily buses plying this route starting at 8:31 am and 9:15 am. These buses depart from the Sarai Kale Khan ISBT. They then arrive in Agra at around 2:01 pm. Fare is around Rs. 385 to Rs. 405 per passenger. Duration go journey is about 5 hours and 30 minutes.
    These buses will drop you off at Agra ISBT (for the Volvo buses) and at Agra Cantonment (for the Jan Rath buses). You can just hire a taxi from these locations to the Taj Mahal. Taxi rates vary between Rs. 150 to Rs. 250. You can also hire an auto to take you to the Taj Mahal, which costs less at about Rs. 60 to Rs. 100.

2. By Private Bus - There are also many private bus operators plying this route:
    • Shri Maruti Travels (AC Seater Pushback Bus) - They have two buses plying this route, one departs at 6:00 pm and the other departs at 9:00 pm. They also depart from the Sarai Kale Khan ISBT. They arrive in Agra at around 8:00 pm and 1:30 am. Fare is at Rs. 350 to Rs. 400 per passenger. Journey duration is around 2 hours to 4 hours.
    • Fouji Tourist Service (AC Seater/Sleeper Bus) - They have two buses plying this route, both leave at 10:30 pm. They depart from Anand Vihar Station. They arrive in Agra at around 2:00 am. Fare is at Rs. 450 to Rs. 550 per passenger. Journey duration is around 3 hours and 30 minutes.
    From their drop-off points, Balu Ganj and Agra City Centre, you can just ride a taxi or an auto to reach the Taj Mahal. Rates are almost the same as posted above.

3. By Train - The nearest railway station to the Taj Mahal is the Agra Fort Railway Station. This station is only about 8.2 kilometres away from the Taj Mahal. There is only one train for this route:
    • Udyan Abha Toofan Express Train No. 13008 - This train departs daily from Tuglakabad at 7:34 and arrives in Agra Fort Railway Station at 12:55. Journey duration is around 4 hours and 11 minutes.
    You can just ride a taxi or an auto to reach the Taj Mahal from the station.

Yet another option is to take a train from Delhi to the Agra Cantonment Railway Station, which is about 10 kilometres away from the Taj Mahal. Here are some trains for this route:
    • Chhatisgarh Express Train No. 18238 - This train departs daily from Sahibabad at 3:38 and arrives in Agra Cantonment Railway Station at 8:12. Journey duration is around 4 hours and 11 minutes.
    • Bhopal Shatabdi Train No. 12002 - This train departs daily from New Delhi at 6:00 and arrives in Agra Cantonment Railway Station at 7:57. Journey duration is around 2 hours.
    • AP Express Train No. 22416 - This train departs daily from New Delhi at 6:40 and arrives in Agra Cantonment Railway Station at 9:15. Journey duration is around 3 hours.
    • Taj Express Train No. 12280 - This train departs daily from Hazrat Nizamuddin at 7:05 and arrives in Agra Cantonment Railway Station at 9:47. Journey duration is around 3 hours.
    • Kalinga Utkal Express Train No. 18478 - This train departs daily from Hazrat Nizamuddin at 12:10 and arrives in Agra Cantonment Railway Station at 15:15. Journey duration is around 3 hours or more.
    There are plenty of trains plying this route. So from Agra Cantonment, you can just refer to the options I have posted in the first number.

4. By Taxi - Ever since the Yamuna Expressway was opened to the public, travel to Agra from Delhi has been easier. Thus, riding a taxi to reach the Taj Mahal is your most comfortable option. Taxi fare varies but it's between Rs. 2,400 to Rs. 6,000. It depends on what type of cab you hire and the traffic you encounter as well. Travel in the expressway is a breeze but you might encounter traffic once you reach Agra until Taj Mahal.

5. By Tour Bus - The private bus company Volvo Bus also has tours from Delhi to Agra. Here are some information about them:
    • Delhi to Agra Same Day Tour (AC Tata Bus) - Departs from RK Ashram Metro Station in Delhi at 6:30 am. Ticket costs Rs. 750 per passenger.
    • Delhi to Taj Mahal Tour (AC Mini Bus) - Departs from RK Ashram Metro Station in Delhi at 7:30 am. Ticket costs Rs. 850 per passenger.
    • Delhi to Agra Same Day Tour (Luxury Volvo Bus) - Departs from RK Ashram Metro Station in Delhi at 6:00 am. Ticket costs Rs. 1,400 per passenger.
    Their office is located at the RK Ashram Metro Station, near Connaught Place.

There you go, I hope this helps you!:)