1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kolkata Airport to Howrah Station

Discussion in 'East India' started by NasaBoy, Jul 8, 2016.

1. NasaBoy

NasaBoy New Member

My arrival is at Kolkata Airport in the morning hours around 8 am. I need to reach Howrah station from there, and would like to know what distance between Kolkata Airport to Howrah Station is?

What would be the best mode of transport to reach Howrah station from the airport?

If I get a taxi how much would it cost?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Here are the answers to your questions:

The distance between Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport (formerly known as the Kolkata Airport) and Howrah Railway Station is about 17 kms via VIP Road. If you take the Grand Trunk Road, it's a bit further at 22.8 kms between the two of them. Another route is via the Dum Dum Road, which is about 15 kms between the two places mentioned. Travel time varies depending on what route you take but on average it's 30 to 40 minutes.

The best mode of transport would be via hired cab or taxi. It's the most convenient and comfortable option. Traffic can be bad in Kolkata especially during rush hours and if you just hire a taxi, it will save you a lot of the hassles. Yes, it's more expensive, but if the driver is quite experienced and know some routes to take away from the traffic, then it's worth it.

However, for information purposes, there's also buses that can take you to the Howrah Railway Station. There are different types of buses that you can take from the airport or a bit further from the airport:
    • VS 2 Buses. These buses run every half hour from 8:00 am until 10:30 pm. The VS Buses are all Volvo Buses with AC and they are quite comfortable as compared to other buses.
    • E26 Buses. These are CSTC buses and they run every 30 minutes from 5:00 am until 20:30. There's no pre-booking for these buses though.
    • C7 Buses. These are CTC buses that run every 30 minutes from 5:15 am to 21:50. Pre-booking also isn't available for this one.
    Prepaid Taxis are available in the airport. These taxis are operated by the Bengal Taxi Union. It's at the main arrival lounge in the airport. You would then pay the fare to receive the ticket and then go outside, you'd see the line for the prepaid taxis. Fares vary from Rs. 209 to Rs. 250, depending on traffic and the type of taxi you choose.

I hope this helps!

Admin likes this.