1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mother Teresa of Kolkata

Discussion in 'East India' started by Alexandoy, May 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

May I know the exact place of the monastery of Mother Teresa in Kolkata? I don't know if this is the same as Calcutta as what we know because the saint was called Mother Teresa of Calcutta. Anyway, I know there is a nunnery where the nuns stay in helping the poor people of India. For Catholics, Mother Teresa is a big image, larger than life so it is imperative to see her place of work if one visits India. It doesn't matter if she is already dead, what matters is her place of work.

2. iamawriter

iamawriter Member

Kolkata is the same as Calcutta. The Missionaries of Charity's Mother House is the one founded by St. Mother Teresa which is situated near Ripon Street. It's nearest landmark is the Sealdah Loreto Convent. It was founded in 1950. St. Mother Teresa is no more but her work carries on.

3. Karan

Karan Member

Mother Teresa's monastery is called the Mother House of the Missionaries of Charity. It is located at 1 AJC Bose Road, Kolkata, India, 700016.
    Kolkata was formerly known as Calcutta, so you're right on both counts! The Missionaries of Charity is a religious congregation founded by Mother Teresa in 1950. The Mother House serves as the headquarters for the Missionaries of Charity, and it is still a functioning convent where nuns live and work.

While Mother Teresa passed away in 1997, the Missionaries of Charity continue her legacy of helping the poor, sick, orphaned, and dying. The Mother House is a pilgrimage site for many Catholics and people from all faiths who are inspired by Mother Teresa's work. Here are some things you can see at the Mother House:

• The tomb of Mother Teresa
    • A small museum dedicated to her life and work
    • The room where Mother Teresa lived and worked (preserved as it was)