1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountaineering In Nepal

Discussion in 'Nepal' started by nyankstmart24, Dec 1, 2015.

1. nyankstmart24

nyankstmart24 New Member

Nepal is obviously famous for being the home of the world's tallest mountain, Mount Everest. I've been getting more into mountaineering, just practicing at home in the United States mostly, but would like to take the trip one day to see the Himalayas and do some hiking there. With that said, does anyone here have experience doing this in Nepal? What are the major dos and dont's before making such a trip? I know preparation for that kind of trip is of the utmost importance. So, please, comment with whatever might be helpful.

Chahal likes this.

2. Gabydi

Gabydi Member

I’m a big mountaineering and trekking fan since I did the Everest Base camp. I can tell you that it is the best experience I’ve had in my life. I’ve been to a lot of beautiful and amazing places, but this is just something else.

The best piece of advice I can give you is to go with a reputable USA or Western company. There are a lot of issues with permissions, papers and a lot of stuff to deal with. Also hire a travel insurance that covers Trip Cancellation because sometimes expeditions in Nepal are cancelled and you could lose all your money. It happened to a friend of mine, so spend a bit more in insurance, it’s totally worth it.

If you’re going to Nepal I suppose you will have to deal with altitude. The body reacts in crazy ways to altitude and it’s better to be prepared. I went to Peru and was at an altitude of 15000 feet and when I was in Nepal I still had some issues with altitude. I would suggest you take a lot of Ibuprofen with you. It’s the best way to deal with altitude. Take 600 mg. before ascending and during your whole trip. This does not guarantee you won’t have any issues, but it does alleviate the symptoms. A lot of people take Diamox but I hate it. The side effects are just too much and that drug alone could really ruin your trip. Take it just in case you feel terrible.

You’ll probably be staying in tea houses during your trip and this can be a little…different. Even though people are super hospitable the hygiene standards are different in there. Be prepared to get sick, like really sick from your stomach. Take antibiotics with you, anti-diarrhea, food poisoning meds and antihistamines. There are companies that offer tenting service with chefs and this could avoid getting sick, but it increases the prices by 40 or 50 percent. The thing is that even if you sleep in tents you would still have to eat in tea houses from time to time and believe me, you will get sick. Everyone gets sick.

Also, be prepared for the toilets situation, they can be kind of challenging for someone who is not used to those kinds of toilets.

Buy the best equipment you can, you will need it and you will be really happy that you didn’t skimp on that once you’re in there.

Guess for now this is all. If you need any more advice or have doubts don’t hesitate to contact me. I can give you a lot more info and will be happy to clear any doubt you have

3. Ankisha

Ankisha New Member

I have never been to Nepal but I would love to go their and experience the thrill of mountaineering. Can anybody please suggest the essentials that I should carry while trekking? I mean, the altitude of Himalaya must be not very easy to cope with.

4. Jenny

Jenny Guest

Bless all of you for your desire to go mountaineering on Everest. I would love to see it in person, from the bottom but have no desire to climb anything.

5. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

When you think about trekking and mountain expeditions the only country that comes in mind is Nepal. Some of the world famous trekking routes are Everest Base camp trek, Annapurna Base camp trek,Annapurna circuit trek etc. Some of the popular mountaineering expeditions in Nepal are Everest expedition, Annapurna expedition, Dhaulagiri expedition etc.
    As a native of Nepal, I suggest you to get in touch with a local or international travel company. Rules often change, therefore, never travel Nepal without doing background research. Trekking is cheaper compared to mountaineering, thus, if you want to scale Everest or Annapurna, be prepared to spend thousands of dollars.

6. impen

impen New Member

Let's try. its great experience

7. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

If you are prone to altitude sickness, you should never god to the mountains. There are two ways to see and feel mountains; one, trekking, two, mountain expeditions. Mountain expedition is for hardcore mountaineer,where as everyone can do trekking.

8. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Is the base camp really as dirty as I have heard? I would be more interested in some of the pristine hiking trails. I love hiking and a little bit of mountaineering, but not climbing. Everyone goes to Everest, but there should be plenty more sites which offer a unique experience.

9. Ilivewhereistand

Ilivewhereistand New Member

How much does it cost to get a guide for the day around Everest? I know that most of these climbers hire the local sherpas to take them up the mountain. I've seen that they don't get paid much, how much I'm not exactly sure.