1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Munnar or Wayanad Which is Better?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Wrangler, May 27, 2016.

1. Wrangler

Wrangler New Member

We are planning for a 3/4 days trip to a hill station near Bangalore. We have already been to Coorg and Ooty, so planning to visit a new place this time around. How is Munnar as a probable destination? I heard that the place is extremely scenic. Wayanad is another option that we have in mind. I want to know which is the better option out of the two - Munnar or Wayanad?

This trip is only for relaxation purpose and we don't want to run around too many tourist attractions or activities. We just want to unwind at a charming location that has a subtle laid-back ambience. The place which is more scenic would be our first choice. Please suggest which place would serve us better - Munnar or Wayanad?

2. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

Munnar vs Wayanad is a tough choice. I have been to both these places and both amazed me equally. If I have to take a pick out of the two based on overall serenity, then I would keep Munnar ahead of Wayanad - but by just a fraction.

Munnar is more scenic and offers you the perfect opportunity to unwind close to nature. Atukkad Water Falls, Mattupetti Dam and Kundala Lake are just the ideal spot to do nothing but enjoy the splendid nature. Top Station and Shooting Point can offer you lovely panoramic views of Munnar's lush green surroundings. The tea estates and rolling grass hills add to Munnar's scenic charm. You can refer to this Munnar Travel Guide for more details.

Wayanad, on the other hand, would score over Munnar for fun-loving people. There are lots of places to visit and lots of things to do. It is the ideal place for adventure enthusiasts. White water rafting, rock climbing, flying fox - there are lots of activities for those who want to enjoy a happening holiday. Adventure caving is another aspect of Wayanad that you can't find in Munnar. These pre-historic cave shelters with various types of rock formations are simply fascinating. Wildlife safari at Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary is another important tourism factor contributing towards Wayanad's popularity.

If you want to spend a few relaxing days away from the hustles and bustles of city life - there is no better choice than Munnar. Wayanad is more suitable to those who are looking for a holiday packed with lots of adventure and fun.

To sum things up, there is no clear winner between Munnar and Wayanad. It's a matter of personal preference. You should visit them both to find out which is more appealing to you.

Regards,
    Deb

Wrangler likes this.

3. Wrangler

Wrangler New Member

Many thanks for the detailed comparison between Munnar and Wayanad. I have decided to go with Munnar this time around. Wayanad too will be on my radar. I will wait for the right opportunity to visit Wayanad later.

Debapriya Deb likes this.
  4. Wanderlust

Wanderlust Member

Personally I would prefer Munnar over Wayanad any day. Wayanad is not a typical hill station. It is situated at a much lesser altitude than Munnar. Munnar is perhaps the best hill station in South India. Beautiful landscapes, waterfalls and tea plantations make it a much better choice from the scenic beauty perspective. The only plus point for Wayanad is the adventure options. If you are not keen on adventure, then Munnar should be the perfect choice for you.

Wrangler likes this.
  5. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Temperature right now is three degrees higher at Waynad as compared to Munnar but 23 degrees and 20 degrees aren't much different in how it would feel on ground. Munnar in my view is a lot better place for relaxing with all the beautiful tea estates and scenic beauty.

Wrangler likes this.
  6. Kritika

Kritika New Member

Yeah Munnar may be the good choice if you are looking for 1-2 day stay without much running around to cover all the famous spot. As Munnar is for short trip and exploration but it does not mean that it lacks in natural and scenic beauty at all.
    But after reading your itinerary you have 3-4 days that means you can rest and as well as explore the large and huge lush green canvas of Wayanad where you could have jeep safari, and wildlife.
    But but considering temperature, climate and ll things Munnar is great option. You could drive through the place and enjoy the scenic feast.
    Thanks

7. Wrangler

Wrangler New Member

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions.

Just returned from our Munnar trip and we all loved the place very much. The tea gardens, rolling hills, waterfalls, the pleasant climate with occasional drizzles - we loved them all. Munnar is a great place for a relaxing holiday away from the hustles of city life. I have not visited Wayanad yet, so can't draw a direct comparison between Munnar and Wayanad. But I can only hope that it is as beautiful as Munnar is - if not better.

Debapriya Deb likes this.
  8. Tony John

Tony John New Member

Glad to know you enjoyed Munnar, which is my favourite holiday destination. I have visited Wayanad as well but that's a totally different experience. It's beautiful but more than that, it's the paradise for those who love adventure. There are plenty of trekking locations, boating etc. If you like to experience tribal life or village life in Kerala, Wayanad is the place to go. Munnar is sort of place to relax and enjoy the holidays while Wayanad is for those who love adventure and activities.

9. vkar

vkar Member

I have never been to Munnar, but have heard great things about it. I have been to Wayanad and would definitely recommend it. I guess if you just want to relax and have a nice time then it's Munnar and if you are feeling a bit adventurous Wayanad may be better. Can't really lose with either choices :)