1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is better Munnar or Thekkady?

Discussion in 'Kerala' started by NN68, Jun 8, 2016.

1. NN68

NN68 New Member

I am planning a trip to Kerala and have a choice of two destinations which are Munnar and Thekkady. The problem I have is I don't know which destination is the better one out of the two.
    I have a total of 7 days, and if I visit both of these destinations I don't think I would be able to have a relaxing holiday, so I need to know which is better Munnar or Thekkady?

Do you think it is possible to stay at both destinations within the seven days of holiday I have?

How far is Munnar from Thekkady?

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Munnar is the place you want to be at out of the two is relaxation is what you are looking for. You will love walking through tea plantations and looking at the scenery at Mannar. Thekkady is a lot warmer as compared to Munnar and will be at least five degrees higher temperature during the day. Thekkady has a lot of trekking routes due to its proximity to Periyar tiger reserve but other than that it is a very small place with nothing much to do or see in my opinion.

Out of Munnar and Thekkady , I would say Munnar is a whole lot better in every respect.

Distance between Munnar and Thekkady is about 100Km but there is no point going there unless you are going there for the wild life at Periyar or trekking which does not seem to be the case looking at your post.

briannagodess likes this.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The distance between Munnar and Thekkady is about 89.6 kms. It can take anywhere between three to four hours to reach one of them from the other.

It is possible to stay at both destinations since the distance isn't really that much. You can spend most of your holidays at Munnar and spend at least one to two days in Thekkady.

Like what has been said, Munnar is perfect for someone seeking relaxation. If you like sight seeing and smaller/easier treks, then Munnar is a great destination for you. Thekkady is more of for challenging and difficult treks. Let me highlight the places you can visit for both destinations:

Munnar
    • You can visit the Tea Museum and see how tea is made and processed.
    • You can visit the Marayoor Sandalwood Forest which is said to date back as far as the 10,000 B.C. Stone Age.
    • You can visit the Attukad Waterfalls, best after the monsoon season.
    • You can visit the Blossom International Park, perfect for relaxing and enjoying the scenery.
    • You can visit the Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary, home to the endangered grizzled squirrel.
    • You can visit tea plantations and tour them as well.
    • You can visit the Lakkom Waterfalls, majestic all year round.
    • You can visit Kundala Lake or go for a boat ride.
    • You can visit Echo Point and have fun hearing your voice back when you scream.
    Thekkady
    • You can visit the Ramakkalmedu and view Tamil Nadu from the top.
    • You can visit the Periyar National Park and encounter a tiger if you're lucky. You can also hike or trek in this park.
    • You can ride an elephant.
    • You can shop for spices.
    As you can see, there's lots of things you can do and places you can go to in Munnar, most of which are easy and doesn't require any experience at all. With Thekkady, there's not many options although you'd love it if you're a fan of trekking.

I hope this helps!