1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Must Eat Places In Delhi

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Nanawati, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Nanawati

Nanawati New Member

I will be in Delhi next week and this is my first visit to Delhi. I have heard a lot about Delhi food, being an absolute foodie I would love to know the must eat places in Delhi. I love non veg food and want to try all the local cuisine on road side and in popular restaurants too. Please share your experiences and places where you love to eat :)

I am from Maharashtra so spicy and oily food really don't matter, all I need is tasty food :)

2. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

There are plenty of resturants in CP that serve excellent food but for some traditional stuff you will need to go to old Delhi where there are some very old shops that sell their specialities like there is one for jalabis and one for cholae bhatura and so on. You can also go to Kareem's if you like nonveg food. Karol bag and pahar ganj have some old joints for non veg food. When you are in Delhi there is something special on every street to be honest.

3. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

There are plenty of different traditional food outlets that are running for over a hundred years and some may be even older. There are plenty of such outlets in old Delhi area.

One place I would recommend that is not so old but you will find lots of food items at one place and that is Delhi haat opposite INA market. There are more then a dozen different regional cuisines stalls and food quality is decent enough for me to keep going back there. You will find the good old gol gappas and tikkis and what not all in one campus.

4. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

Here is a list of best places to eat in Delhi. Chahal posted that reply today so I am linking to it to help those who come across this thread looking for the same information.

5. Deven

Deven Member

One of the must eat places in Delhi was the Ghantewala in Chandni Chowk, which many of you may know has now been closed down. Chandni Chowk is a place full of many old shops serving some of the best food dating back to 1872. I think there should be a thread dedicated to Chandni Chowk food.

6. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

Yeah, somethng like that shop was in news but but dunno if it was this particular shop and the reason why it closed down was because it didn't changed with time went over my head

Sent from my Lenovo A6000 using Tapatalk

7. Dhruv

Dhruv Member

Yes there should be a dedicated thread to Chandni Chowk, the place is full of eating joints which are years old such as the prantha shops, jelebi shop, Giani's kulfi falooda and Karim's amongst others.

Sent from my 6043D using Tapatalk

Tanmaya likes this.
  8. Tanmaya

Tanmaya Member

Ghante wala's shop is closed now :(

9. Akshay

Akshay Member

I had only heard the name of the shop have never actually went there, what did they sell?
    There is a famous dessert called daulat chaat does anyone know which shops sells it in Chandni Chowk?

10. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

Even if our travel to India is still a plan as of now, I am already doing a sort of research. And one concern is the food. The only Indian food I know is briyani, the chicken briyani that I had eaten in Little India in Singapore. It tastes okay with me although I was not able to finish the serving because the long grain rice was a mountain and the chicken are so much. Maybe that serving would be good for me and my wife.

I have a question about briyani. In Hongkong, my favorite dish is Lamb Biryani. Take not of the spelling - briyani in Singapore and biryani in Hongkong. Does anybody here know the difference?

11. turtledove

turtledove Member

Delhi has so much incredible street food, so I think you should definitely give that a go as well as a few of the fancy restaurants. One of the most 'foody' areas is 'Paranthe Wali Gali'. It's a street almost completely dedicated to paranthas, If you're like me and you love chaat, then definitely try the Sree Balaji Chaat Bhandar. The chaat there is incredible. Prince's Paan and Chaat corner is apparently really good too!

BadBoy likes this.
  12. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

Yes, I totally agree with the fact that Chandni Chowk is a place with a lot of choices to eat out. Chandni Chwok is famous for street food restaurants.

You will never forget Karim Hotel for its tasty royal Mughal food. Time Magazine has ranked Karim among top restaurants in Asia. So, never miss it if you are looking for best non-veg food. And if you are a vegetarian, I think Babu Ram Devi Dayal Paranthe Wale will be the best choice for you. It is the oldest and most reputed shop in Paranthe Wali Gali. You can enjoy good food, quality service and cheap price.

13. btalivny

btalivny Member

All these are great recommendations. On the other side of the spectrum, is there any food that one should stay away from? Some food looks good but ends up being not that great. Any examples of this in delthi?

14. DarkStarling

DarkStarling New Member

I was in Delhi for a short while, and the place I recommend - but which will cost quite a bit is the Bukhara restaurant which is quite famous for both their kebabs an deserts. The Moti Mahal is one of the oldest surviving restaurants, and I would try it for their tandori chicken (which it makes the rather large claim of introducing.) If you like Punjabi cuisine - Punjabi by nature is another recommendation that is nice to eat at.

15. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Member

If you can find the time, go to Bukhara restaurant. Their kebabs are like nothing I've ever tasted before, truly delicious, and they have a wide selection of other dishes if that isn't what you would like. There are plenty of traditional eating establishments throughout Delhi and you wont have any trouble finding them, they are all over the place.

16. Faye1232212

Faye1232212 New Member

Delhi is one of the destinations I was considering visiting on my trip I'm planning. Knowing that there are so many food options within restaurants, carts etc makes me that much more excited about my vacation. Does anyone know of the prices of food? From carts to restaurants, I am interested in that aspect of food as I am planning my finances for spending.

17. BayouBilly

BayouBilly New Member

I feel I never really explored the underbelly of Delhi well enough - especially when my friends tell me about all the restaurants that I missed!

I can't wait until I get another chance to go back to India. This time, it'll be a food journey! I think it'd be an even better idea if I blog about everything on this sight - last time I went, I took absolutely no pictures of the wonderful hole-in-the-wall places I ate at.

18. Kiryu

Kiryu New Member

I think that from what everyone here has said, the Bukhara restaurant sounds the most interesting to me. Their kebabs sound truly special. What other notable dishes do they offer?

19. HIraeth

HIraeth Member

INA Dilli Haat is a good place to eat if you want to try out the various cuisines of the different states in the country. Chandi Chowk is excellent for street food and kebabs. Hauz Khas Village has a number of places to eat as well. You can also try out Kunzum Travel cafe there - it's a good place to eat and chill (the coffee comes free!) CR Park is another place where you can get a taste of Bengal. Connaught Place or CP has many restaurants and global cafes, so that can also be on your list. Paranthe Wale Gali is a good place for trying out paranthas (a sort of dough pancake) of various fillings, from meat to chocolate. Majnu Ka Tila is a Tibetan colony where you can have a taste of their food. Karim's near jama Masjid, I would say is the best place for Mughlai food. The city holds food festivals on and off throughout the year. So if you're visiting, check out and see if there are any being held during the time of your stay.

20. lstryhrn

lstryhrn New Member

Delhi is really vast in terms of food variety it offers however if I still have to point it down then I will give some below options which my taste buds personally crave for!
    1. FOR BEST SUNDAY BRUNCH - spot this place at Indian Habitat centre, American dinner. Check out the menu for special pancakes they offer.
    2. Kulfiz - These are small take away joints with great picks for stick frozen ice-creams. Special flours are fruit cream/ Paan/ kiwi / Cheeku.
    3. If you want to have a light and refreshing lunch, you should hop to this south Indian food joint 'NIVEDYAM' and surely get some watermelon juice which is a pure delight.
    4. For Delhi's best burgers - huge variety of enormous burgers at eat @ joe's, gurgaon at crosspoint mall. Home made peri peri is finger licking!
    5. For a change if you want to have better pizzas than usual offerings, try NEW YORK SLICE. They also have some garlic rolls ( do not know the exact name) with a tomato based dip, must try.
    6. Gulab jamuns - The best gulab jamuns I ever had in Delhi are at a drop point counter next to Gulatis, Pandara road.
    7. Late night savoury - meal of butter chicken with extremely crisp paranthas at yellow bricks, Taj Vivanta.
    8. Best fried ice-cream and Mint mango shake @ bunkers, Gurgaon.
    9. Dhaba by Claridges - Amazing choice of cocktails with a twist of Indian flours. Mojito with paan is a must try again with actual paan ingredients inside your drink. The food is exotic and with great twists and not very expensive place for a dine in.

amelia88 likes this.
  21. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

That mint mango shake sounds delicious! And fried ice cream?! Wow - that sounds like a treat! That's a good variety of both Indian and Western foods on the list - thanks for sharing! I'll have to bookmark some of these!

22. Dune Dude

Dune Dude New Member

A lot of the food mentioned above sounds like food you can get worldwide. I prefer to eat more traditional stuff when I travel. And fried ice cream is delicious! However, I prefer it "Mexican-style". It is made with a burrito and has cinammon-sugar sprinkled all over it. Yummy!

23. Ankisha

Ankisha New Member

Delhi has a lot to offer when it comes to authentic and mouth-watering cuisines. Karim's Hotel in the bustling streets of old Delhi serves the best mughlai culinary. It is one of the oldest eateries of Delhi. Firdausi Korma and Rogan Josh will blast your tastebuds with rich flavors and will leave you craving for more. Add this to your list and I bet you are going to love it.

24. Indyra

Indyra Member

Wouldn't it depend on what type of food you are looking for? Eveing.ryone's tastes are different. Although, when I travel, I prefer to eat native food of the place that I am visit​

25. Rezonate

Rezonate Member

There's no shortage of great places to eat in Delhi. Some good ones are The Butler House which is known for their top authentic Indian cuisine and excellent reviews. Another great place to eat in Delhi is Striker Pub and Kitchen known for their finger foods, excellent menu choices and their ambience it's a place any traveller should frequent once during their trip to India.