1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nehru Zoo Park?

Discussion in 'Wildlife and National Parks' started by TravelinMan, Sep 2, 2015.

1. TravelinMan

TravelinMan New Member

OK, I just commented on another post asking for recommendations for Zoo's, but I couldn't resist the temptation to Google it as well, and I came across the Nehru Zoo Park!! Has anyone been there? I would love to get some feedback on that as well! Being the family that we are, or vacation destinations always have a ZOO or something of the sort as the focal point - this one looks super cool, and has the Safari as well. So it could absolutely be a contender! :)

2. Clara

Clara New Member

I have not been to India, but a visit to a Zoo would be on my itinerary, too. After reading your post, I, also, did some research on the Nehru Zoo.

It appears to be a popular destination with thousands of visitors on daily basis. I would image one could spend an entire day at this 380 acres zoo with almost 200 different species.

According to one of the articles I read, soon WIFI will be available here and online ticket purchases, as an option. I am all about conveniences and these two features always make a visit anywhere easier.

Much to my surprise, the Zoo made recent news headlines, due to the fact that a Royal Bengal Tiger, Kadamba, recently escaped for about 45 minutes. Happy to read reports no one was hurt and the tiger is fine, too!

I, too, would love to hear anyone's first-hand experience at this zoo!

3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

That 380 acres is about 100 hectares. I wonder how one could roam that vast zoo in one day? I have read in another thread that there is an electric car that can be rented for traveling conveniently inside the zoo. I think that is in Delhi zoo. So maybe the Nehru zoo should also be equipped with electric cars because of its huge area. And with the news of the escapes wild animals, it is an attraction to the zoo.

Clara likes this.
  4. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

Nehru Zoological Park also known as Hyderabad Zoo is an ideal location for a family visit. Spreading over 300 acres, it is a home for more than 250 species. You can see almost all varieties of animals from all parts of India.

It is one of the favorite tourist spots, especially for kids. In addition to zoo, it has many other attractions like toy train, aquarium, butterfly park, Jurassic park and a separate children's park. Lion Safari is an added attraction. It also offers Bear Safari, Tiger Safari and Bison Safari.

You can spend your entire day here and also enjoy boating in the nearby Mir Alam Tank organized by the Tourism Department.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I was just wondering what sort of price would you be expected to pay to enter a zoo like that? I'm assuming if there's enough attractions to keep you there all day then the entry fee would be a little more than what you'd usually expect to pay?

6. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Oh, man, Nehru Zoo Park looks amazing even in just the pictures I saw. There is even a toy train for a joy ride and I'm sure kids would love this! Aside from that, there are lots of food areas inside the zoo, you can choose from a variety of cuisines from the food court or choose the rhino canteen, maharaja canteen or the dairy parlour. Some zoos have limited options when it comes to food, but the Nehru Zoo Park has a lot of variety.

There's also a battery operated vehicle. I think this one would be more beneficial for large families traveling to the zoo. There are also bicycles if you want to go sight seeing while riding a bike. There are lots of options for riding in this park!

Then they also have many safaris to see, a bear safari, tiger safari and bison safari. And, a jurassic park with life size models of dinosaurs! Of course, there are the usual butterfly park, aquarium and children's park. But another interesting thing is the boat ride that they offer which other parks don't.

They also have weekly events that include seminars about the environment and animals. For the children below 12 years old, they will be charged Rs 12 while adults will be charged Rs 30. The safari ride and train ride has additional fees. Renting a guest house costs Rs 500.00.

7. Tyson

Tyson New Member

I would love to visit a zoo if it had the animals living in a more natural habitat. I have visited a few zoos and most of the animals are in cages and they are rather small. I think if the zoo had nice enclosures and you could see the animals resting or roaming around this would be excellent.

8. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I had a look on Trip Advisor about this one - it seems pretty highly reviewed which is always a factor for me when I look for attractions to visit!

I also like seeing wildlife when I travel. I am not the biggest fan of zoos in general though unless they have large habitats for the animals to roam around in.