1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning On Going To India

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Codygr89, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Codygr89

Codygr89 New Member

The thing is, I'm not sure where to start!? There are so many beautiful cities and things to see I have no idea where I should even begin my journey!

I'll be coming from Germany around late January next year. What city would be a good "base of operation" for me along with hotel? What are three things I absolutely must see while I'm in India?

I'm a huge art buff so if you can recommend anything for that, it would be greatly appreciated! I'm thinking about just one solid week in India but knowing me it will probably end up being more :)

2. nomad

nomad New Member

Late January is a great time to go! As you are interested in art you could visit the India Art Fair in New Delhi. It runs at the end of January each year. There are many great art galleries in New Delhi too (including lots of contemporary galleries) so even if you don't make it for the fair you'll still be able to see lots of local artworks. Agra is not too far from New Delhi which is also the home to the Taj Mahal which is usually on most people's to-do lists.You could go to Agra for a day trip to see the Taj.

Regarding your hotel, it will depend on your budget. There are so many options no matter where you go.

Chahal likes this.

3. fatema

fatema New Member

I would die to go to India! It's so beautiful over there! Seeing all the attractions. Literally every building is so beautifully built. They have such an amazing ocean over there, it's so blue. The sky is perfect and clear. Everyone just seems happy. Even the street sounds make me happy. In the city I live in, there's obviously street noise, but I don't know, India's street noise gives me a better vibe.

4. Codygr89

Codygr89 New Member

The Taj Mahal is definitely on my list, though I suppose it is on everyone's! lol.

Sounds like I might luck out with the India Art Fair! I'm extremely interested in India's customs, and I can not WAIT to try some traditional cuisines!

If you had to choose just one place to visit or one thing to do in India what would it be (besides the Taj Mahal)?

5. nomad

nomad New Member

@Codygr89 That's a very tough one! One of my favorite events in India was the Jaisalmer Desert Festival. It's a bit of a journey to get there from any of the big cities but it is so worth it, in my opinion. Jaisalmer itself is amazing - it's so different to my home! The festival has so many different things going on (like camel racing, singing and dancing) that you get a really good taste of local culture.

6. Codygr89

Codygr89 New Member

Do you have any more information or links to it? Doesn't sound like it will be happening while I'm there though :(

7. turtledove

turtledove Member

There are plenty of things to do in India, but I guess where you go depends on the kind of thing you want to do. For example, if you're more about scenery and beauty, somewhere like Kashmir, Ooty or even Ladakh may be better for you. If you want to see more architecture, the Taj Mahal is the obvious choice, but there are many incredibly intricate buildings in Southern India (mainly plenty of temples). You could also visit the Golden Temple in Amritsar. If you're more into adventure activities, maybe something like scuba diving in Goa or biking in the mountains of Himachal Pradesh would be more appealing. There's plenty to do, but it does depend on what's suited to you.

8. Codygr89

Codygr89 New Member

See, thats the problem! There is so much to do I might have to figure out a way to stay even longer..

I'm an outdoor freak so biking/hiking appeals to me a lot! At the same time I love culture and art :/ So many choices!

9. kokosflocken

kokosflocken New Member

I can see why you would be at a loss for where to start :D There's just so much to do and see. Ladakh is really beautiful, but Kolkata is a great city too.

10. Rezonate

Rezonate Member

India is such a majestic land full of spectualar sites to see. Im pretty sure that the locals will be more than helpful in terms of showing you around town. Sometimes When I'm traveling I just like to get lost in my adventures and find my way back.

11. Rezonate

Rezonate Member

Being on a bike is the best way to see a town or city of you don't plan on doing any long trips around town but even then I still would find a way to get a hold of a bike no matter what town in in. Its such a great mode of transportation when your trying to explore foreign land.

12. TravelCheap3

TravelCheap3 Member

If you're still in the planning stages, I would have to personally recommend the city Delhi. The food there was absolutely amazing and locals were generous and polite in helping me with some language situations. There is tons to do in Delhi and was a great place to visit.

13. Ritika Sharma

Ritika Sharma Member

Chhattisgarh one of the best place to start your journey in India because of the availability of beautiful waterfalls, temples, wildlife sanctuary and much more and from November to February is the best time to visit Chhattisgarh