1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spiti Valley

Discussion in 'North India' started by AmitMalik, Apr 6, 2016.

1. AmitMalik

AmitMalik New Member

I have read a lot of threads on this forum about Spiti Valley and heard about the destination being mentioned in other places. I think it is a destination which has recently just become familiar, and I only guess that it is nothing like Shimla or Manali. However, it is a place I would like to visit. Before thinking of making any final decisions about going Spiti Valley, I need some questions answered.

1. How far is Spiti Valley from Shimla?

2. When is the best time to visit Spiti Valley?

3. Which routes should be taken to reach Spiti Valley?

4. What activities can be conducted in Spiti Valley?

5. Are there any monasteries in Spiti Valley?

6. I have seen the term AMS mentioned what does this mean?

7. Can we do trekking at Spiti Valley?

8. Is it a good idea to get a tour package or plan the itinerary ourselves?

9. How many days do you recommend to stay in Spiti Valley?

10. Please give any recommendations of any nearby places to Spiti Valley, which should be visited.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!

I'll try my best to answer your questions:

1. How far is Spiti Valley from Shimla?
    • Spiti Valley is about 694.9 kms away from Shimla which is about a 13 hour drive.
    2. When is the best time to visit Spiti Valley?
    • It's best to visit Spiti Valley during the summer months of May and October. The temperature during this time is just perfect, not too cold nor hot. The roads are mostly clear and you have enough sunshine to guide you through your trip.
    3. Which routes should be taken to reach Spiti Valley?
    • You can choose between two routes: Delhi-Shimla-Reckong Peo-Kaza-Spiti Valley Route or Delhi-Manali-Kaza-Spiti Valley Route. The former is the longer but sure route. The latter can take a shorter time and has amazing sceneries but it's not always open.
    4. What activities can be conducted in Spiti Valley?
    • There's lots to choose from, trekking, mountaineering or even camping. You can also try rafting in the Spiti Spin River. Or maybe try trekking via Jeep which is another great adventure.
    5. Are there any monasteries in Spiti Valley?
    • There's the Key Monastery which is the oldest and largest monastery in Himachal Pradesh.
    6. I have seen the term AMS mentioned what does this mean?
    • AMS stands for Acute Motion Sickness. It happens when you don't get acclimatised properly before reaching the top of a mountain.
    7. Can we do trekking at Spiti Valley?
    • Yes, you can do trekking in Spiti Valley. You can opt for five-day treks to be fully acclimatised before reaching the destination. Several agencies offer packages for trekking.
    8. Is it a good idea to get a tour package or plan the itinerary ourselves?
    • I would suggest getting a tour package as the locals know best the valley. They can guide you accordingly and assist you in case you encounter any problems. If you are an expert trekker though, then you can opt to plan the itinerary by yourself. There's lots of resources online that can help you.
    9. How many days do you recommend to stay in Spiti Valley?
    • Five to six days would be enough to explore the place.
    10. Please give any recommendations of any nearby places to Spiti Valley, which should be visited.
    • Dhankar Gompa, yet another monastery, but this one is a bit harder to reach. But once you are able to travel to it, the sceneries are amazing and very much worth it. Pin Valley National Park is another one, it is the home of several endangered animals like the snow leopard and Siberian Ibex.
    I hope this helps!

Kate Collins likes this.

3. Pawan Ranta

Pawan Ranta New Member

If you ask my experience, 5-6 days are not enough to explore the valley.

4. Kate Collins

Kate Collins Member

Wow! Seems Spiti Valley is a great tourist place to visit. Is the Ki Monastery open for the public?

5. Deven

Deven Member

Visitors are allowed to explore the monastery and its various prayer halls, libraries, and living quarters. They can also observe the monks at prayer, learn about the monastery's history and traditions, and enjoy the stunning panoramic views of the surrounding valley and mountains. However, visitors are requested to maintain a respectful demeanor while inside the monastery and abide by any rules or guidelines set by the monks or staff.