1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Udaipur for Holi

Discussion in 'Rajasthan' started by Mason442, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Mason442

Mason442 New Member

Hello everyone,

I am considering spending Holi in Udaipur and I am just wondering if it would be a nice place to observe and enjoy Holi celebrations? I have seen Holi in New Delhi and it was just wonderful, this time also I am expecting something similar.

I have been searching for hotel accommodation on booking.com but most of the places are above my intended budget, any recommendation for places to stay in Udaipur? I have heard that some resorts in India fill their swimming pools with colors and petals on Holi so if you can suggest something like that then I will not mind to increase my budget for a day or two.

Mason

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

If you want the best of Holi in India then Vrindavan is the place to be at. Holi of Braj is world famous and thousands of tourists from all over the world go there to see it every year. If you do not want to go to Vrindavan then any part of North India would do. I am not too familiar with hotels scene at Udaipur but I doubt any mid range hotel would do the color and petals thing to their swimming pool. It would be worth speaking to the locals once you get there.

3. Aadi

Aadi Member

I am not sure about Udaipur but there are many farm houses and hotels around Delhi where you can enjoy pool party on holi, but if you really want to have fun and want to enjoy holi celebrations then Vrindavan is the best option.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Udaipur is also known for its lavish celebration of Holi. Particularly, it's the Royal Family that takes extra efforts to provide the citizens with the best Holi celebration they can have. The Festival of Colours is usually celebrated in the City Palace grounds and stretches for around two days.

During the first day, the Holi celebration starts with a procession starting in the City Palace grounds. This is called the Holika Dahan which is held at 6:00 pm before the start of the Festival of Colours. This is to celebrate the triumph of Divine Power over Demonic Power.

The parade is joined by the Royal Family. The Royal Family starts the procession in their traditional livery and finery. The procession is from the Shambhu Niwas Palace to Manek Chowk. It also includes the Royal Entourage of elegant horses and a band.

As the dusk approaches, the traditional bonfire is lit and other performances commence. Local dancers perform Gair, a traditional dance in Rajasthan.

The next day, this is when the Festival of Colours start. Wear your oldest clothes as it's sure to be filled by colour at the end of the day. It's a fun festival and one that tourists all over the world go to India for.

If you're not up for that, then consider staying in your hotel. Most hotels in Udaipur have special Holi events and activities as well.

There's lots of accommodations just nearby the City Palace. Many of these hotels also celebrate Holi or provide transport services so you can go the the City Palace. Here's some of them:
    • Jagat Niwas Palace Hotel. During Holi, the staff here is in day-off as well. But the whole hotel is decorated with colourful streamers and other knick-knacks. It's also not rare to see employees covered in colour a day or two after the celebration, lol. Rates for rooms start at Rs. 1,400 per night.
    • Jaiwana Haveli. Expect the owner to even give you your first colour for the festival. Rates start at Rs. 2,700 per night.
    • Mewar Haveli. You can actually see the bonfire from the City Palace in here. They also decorate the whole hotel with colours during the festival. Rates start at Rs. 1,850 per night.
    I hope this helps!