1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where Should I Go???

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Faye1232212, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Faye1232212

Faye1232212 New Member

I've been planning a trip to India since forever but am confused as to where I should go. I am African American so I am somewhat reluctant to book a flight somewhere I don't know anything about considering the backlash many of us get outside the US. My question is basically where can I find a friendly , affordable place in India to visit where I will not be shunned for my skin color? I have heard stories of friends who have gone abd have been treated subpar after they were found not to be celebrities or athletes.

2. fatema

fatema New Member

For sure you should go to Rome or Greece! Those to me are the most beautiful places!! Just the attractions the water! All the videos, pictures of it just makes me want to pack and go! If you have a chance to travel somewhere, go to one of those places! Those places are a total must! If you must know, it's on my bucket list. You never know what you're going to see in those cities when you're there. It's a total surprise.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I wouldn't have thought discrimination would be something to worry about in India, especially if you go to the main tourist destinations.

It's been said many times before on various threads around the forum, India is a colourful and diverse culture and that's what makes it unique ad a country, so I wouldn't have thought that being an African American would cause to many issues.

4. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

That would not be an issue in India. India is a home for diverse cultures and we have people from all religious beliefs at top most places in various organizations. As I already said earlier, India's main strength is unity in the midst of diversity. You can find all types of people here from white to black and there is no discrimination based on skin color.

To be frank,anywhere in the world the main discrimination is based on power and money. People who got both belong to high caste while others who do not have them are treated as low caste.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

The money point I definitely have to agree with. People who are obviously wealthy don't just want to be treated better, they expect to be.

In my opinion money shouldn't come into the way you are treated or how you treat them. Just because they might have a better bank balance than you, that doesn't mean they're a better person than you.

6. moondebi

moondebi New Member

India has never been snobbish on the basis of skin. You may find some hiatus over here, but racism is something beyond India’s culture.

Regarding the affordability, anyone from US will find this place an economical one. Though there are some hyped tourist destinations, but if you have the proper information regarding the places, you will be able to have a nice fun.

7. Elaine Lat

Elaine Lat Member

The only place I could think of is the Taj Mahal. Also since I'm in that particular area, it would be great to just sample local dishes cooked as they should. I'll also be looking for gift stores where I can get a dress that Indian women wear. I hope I would not have an issue with that as well because I've been reading a lot about the "culture, not trend" slogan ever since both Beyonce and Iggy Azalea wore Indian costumes in their music videos.

8. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

Forget about skin color and ethnicity. It's your life, stop letting other people dictate where you can and can't go. If you're really unsure, just put a map of Europe or Asia, or wherever, and throw a dart at it. Where it lands, make it a priority to stay there for a few days and enjoy yourself. A life with limitations is a life not worth living, my friend. Just because you were born black doesn't mean it should dictate your every decision. It's just a skin color mate, and I'm pretty sure you're more than that as a person.

9. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1 New Member

I think you should go to a monk temple. One of my high school history teachers told me that monks are skilled fighters. He said that you should go if you ever get the opportunity. Monks can perform moves that you only see in movies. In addition, monks are filled with information that can make your life fill more fulfilled. The monk temple is your best bet.

10. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

You won't be judge as badly in Asia especially in Southeast Asian countries like the Philippines or India and others. Asia is a realm of diversified peoples and attitudes. You'll be welcomed there and you should go to Asia if you have in interest in the culture and the history. I've always wanted to go to Africa as well for the safaris, the good food and the different traditions that I can participate in, maybe Africa is good for you if you're outdoorsy.