1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 day stay in Chennai

Discussion in 'South India' started by Bob, Mar 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Bob

Bob New Member

I have a 5 days stay in Chennai with my wife and we want to know which area in Chennai is good for tourists.
    I would prefer the area to be safe and have easy access to the airport and train station as our next destination will be Bangalore by train. We don't want the location to be too fancy or too low, somewhere in between, also a location where there is a bit of choice to get a bite to eat.
    We are not so much interested in sightseeing unless there is something popular or as they say a must see. It is mostly a trip for relaxing and getting to see what the place and atmosphere is like.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2015

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

It is going to be humid and not very pleasant. Humidity will be 80+ these days and even a temperature of 27-28 degrees will feel more like 35 degrees. I dont know if those are ideal conditions for relaxation.
    You have not mentioned your budget so it is hard to suggest something without knowing how much you are willing to spend. If budget is not a criteria then go for the ITC Grand chola. You will love it. I only had a chance to go there for a meeting and was very impressed with the property. It will cost a lot though.

3. Prits

Prits Member

Mylapore is a place I would recommend as it provides people with the local tradition, culture and the local street food.
    Another option is T.Nagar or Nungambakkam which is ideal for shopping if you are interested.

If you are stuck between the two locations then choose something in between which will then provide you with both things and it would be around 20 minutes from the train station.

4. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Do not underestimate the humidity. I went around nearly soaked through all day long, and even during the night. You will just have to get used to it. Some people find it impossible. A good tip is to take a water bottle, too.

5. rz3300

rz3300 Member

The humidity was definitely tough to handle in certain areas, and if you let it get to you it can really put a damper or what otherwise would be a fantastic experience. The best that you can do is brace yourself and prepare as best as you can. Stay hydrated and rested and make sure that you are mentally strong, because that matters, especially when you are in a foreign country.

6. Well if you want to relax it's best you stay indoors with the air conditioner on. It will extremely humid as the summer months have started and even walking out for 5 minutes will leave you completely sweaty.

7. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I got pretty used to going around completely soaked. I have traveled through other parts of Asia where it is hot, but no where near as humid as in Chennai. I got a lot of looks and laughs from the locals. It must have seemed I just came out of a pool. I don't know how they can go about with dry clothes.

8. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Bob! Welcome to the forum!

So first of all, the Chennai International Airport is located in the suburban areas of Meenambakkam, Pallavaram and Tirusulam. These are the closest towns to the airport itself. However, you won't find accommodation options in these areas. So your next options would be these areas:

1. Egmore - This is about 18 kms from the Chennai Airport. But the Egmore Railway Station is located in this area. Nearby the Egmore Railway Station is the Egmore Bus Stand. The Chennai Railway Station is also just about 2.5 kms from Egmore. Another great thing about Egmore is that there are a lot of budget and mid-range accommodations nearby as well as restaurants. I'll also include a few attractions in the area.

Mid-Range Accommodations in Egmore
    • Hotel Victoria - This is just about 0.2 km from the railway station in Egmore. Their Executive Room is at Rs. 3,600 per night. It has air-conditioning, television, telephone and attached bathroom. They also have laundry services as well as transport services for guests. Their address is: 3, Kenneth Lane, Egmore, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600008.
    • Hotel Pandian - This is just 0.3 km from the railway station in Egmore. Their Executive AC Room is at Rs. 2,000 per night. It has WiFi, LCD television, bathroom with hot/cold running water and comfortable bed. The hotel also has a multi-cuisine restaurant and a gym for guests. Their address is: 15, Kennet Lane, Egmore, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600008.
    • Fortel - This is just 0.3 km from the railway station in Egmore. Their Executive Room is at Rs. 4,000 per night. It comes with television, AC, WiFi, bathroom and comfortable bed. The hotel also has two restaurants and conference halls. Their address is: 3, Gandhi Irwin Rd, Egmore, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600008.
    • Ramada Chennai Egmore - This is just 0.4 km from the railway station in Egmore. Their Executive Room is at Rs. 4,659 per night. It has television, sofa set, modern bathroom, huge bed and work desk. They have restaurants and a cafe inside the hotel. They also have a spa and a swimming pool that guests can use. Their address is: Gandhi Irwin Road, Egmore, Chennai, 600008.
    Restaurants in Egmore
    • Annalakshmi Restaurant - They have North and South Indian cuisines. Try out their paneer masala, vegetable cutlet, batura, channa and aloo fry. Here is their address: 18/3, Rukmani Lakshmipathy Road, Next To Rani Meyyammai Hall, Egmore, Chennai.
    • Mathsya - They also have North and South Indian cuisines. Try out their cheese naan and masala kulcha. Their address is: 1, Halls Road, Egmore, Chennai.
    • Babal Da Punjabi Dhaba - They have North Indian and Chinese cuisines. Try out their tandoori mushroom and kadai chicken, yum! Their address is: 114/9, Poonamallee High Road, Opposite Hotel Abu Palace, Egmore, Chennai.
    Tourist Attractions in Egmore
    • Government Museum - This is the second oldest museum in India. It also has the largest collection of Roman artefacts outside of Europe. The museum itself has six building with about 46 galleries. You can find various artefacts and items pertaining to archaeology, zoology, natural history and art.
    • Connemara Public Library - This is one of the four national libraries in India that receives all copies of publications in the country. Every publisher in India has to give a copy of his book in the library. Some of the rare books found here are: Hourtus Indicus Malabaricus, Flora Indica and The Bible (published in 1608).
    • St. Andrew's Church - This church used to serve the Scottish community in Chennai. It was consecrated on the year 1821 after about 4 years of construction.

2. Mylapore - This is one of the oldest residential areas in Chennai. This is about 16.6 kms from the Chennai Airport. From the Egmore Railway Station, it's about 19 kms away, from the Central Railway Station, it's about 20.9 kms and from the Tambaram Railway Station, it's 10 kms away. There's also a lot of accommodation options, restaurants and other attractions here.

Mid-Range Hotels in Mylapore
    • Clarion Chennai - This is 0.7 km from the centre of Mylapore. Their Luxury Room is at Rs. 3,600 per night. It has LCD television, bathroom with hot/cold running water and comfortable bed. WiFi is chargeable though. They do have a swimming pool and restaurant in the hotel. Their address is: 25, Dr Radhakrishnan Salai, Krishnapuram, Mylapore, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600004.
    • Shelter Hotel - This is about 0.7 km from the centre of Mylapore. It's also just 4 kms away from the Marina Beach. Their Executive Room is at Rs. 3,850 per night and is complete with amenities like television, bed and attached bathroom. They also have a restaurant, banquet facilities and a bar. Their address is: 19, 20 & 21, Venkatesa Agraharam Street, Opposite Saibaba Temple, Mylapore, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600004.
    • Sangeetha Residency - This is about 0.6 km from the centre of Mylapore. This is also about 2.7 kms from the Marina Beach. Their room rates start at Rs. 2,000 per night. They also have a vegetarian restaurant in the hotel. Their address is: No. 2, Luz Church Road, Mylapore, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600004.
    Restaurants in Mylapore
    • Pattapa's Thaligai - They have South Indian cuisine. Try out their breakfast buffet, it has a lot of vegetarian options. Their address is: 60, Luz Church Road, Mylapore, Chennai.
    • Kaidi Kitchen - They have Chinese, Italian, Indian and Mexican cuisines. Try out their vegetable curry and crispy chili baby corn. Their address is: 20/3, Bishop Wallers Avenue, Mylapore, Chennai.
    Attraction in Mylapore
    • Kapaleeshwar Temple - This was built by the Pallavas in the 7th Century CE. It is a good example of the Dravidian style of architecture. This temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and Goddess Karpagambal.

3. Thyagaraya Nagar or T. Nagar - This is about 13.9 kms from the Chennai Airport. It's 19.3 kms from the Egmore Railway Station, 20 kms from Central Railway Station and 10.4 kms from the Tambaram Railway Station. There are many budget and mid-range accommodations in T. Nagar. This also has the biggest shopping district in India by revenue so if you love shopping, it's the place to be.

Mid-Range Hotels in T. Nagar
    • Beverly Hotel - This is 0.7 km from the centre of T. Nagar. This is very near the commercial areas of shopping, eating and other attractions of the city. Their Executive Room is tav Rs. 4,000 per night. The rate already includes the breakfast. The hotel also has a business centre and a wellness centre for guests. Their address is: 17, Rajarathinam Road, Kilpauk, Chennai, 600010.
    • Park Avenue Hotel - This is 1 km from the centre of T. Nagar. Their Classic Room is at Rs. 3,500 per night. It has AC, flat-screen television and free WiFi. Their address is: New No. 84, Old No. 67, Nungambakkam High Road, Nungambakkam, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600034.
    Restaurants in T. Nagar
    • Basil With A Twist - They have Continental, Mediterranean and Italian cuisines. Their pizzas and pastas are excellent, try them out. Their address is: 58-A, Habibullah Road, T. Nagar, Chennai.
    • Absolute Barbecues - They have North Indian, Mediterranean and European cuisines. I loved their chocolate ice cream aside from their grilled items. Their address is: 45, GN Chetty Road, T. Nagar, Chennai.
    Attractions in T. Nagar
    • Pangal Park - This park was named after Raja Panagal, the chief minster of Madras Presidency. He was the one who created the park. You can also find almost all shopping areas around the park.
    • Siva Vishnu Temple - This was created in 1935, dedicated to both Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu.

There you go. I hope this helps you.:)