1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Buses In Delhi Safe?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Sammie, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Sammie

Sammie Member

Are the public buses in Delhi and other major cities in India safe to use for tourists or are they always packed with people? Someone told me that they don't always stop at the bus stop, they just slow down and you have to hop off. Is this true?

2. Sandy

Sandy Guest

Sadly, I thought this thread was going to be about the Jyoti Singh case. I think the publicity of that case made a lot of people fearful of Delhi buses in general. I feel terrible for her family.

To answer your question, I think if you travel in groups with someone who is familiar with the bus system, it might be easier to navigate. My opinion is that when traveling to any country, learning the transportation system is one of the very first things you should do in preparation. How do you expect to get around and stay safe if you don't know how to travel? It defeats the purpose of travel if you go unprepared in that way.

I am also interested in private transportation such as rentals, maybe taxis, and buses designated for tourism. If anyone has this information, feel free to share! Thanks.

3. TravelCheap3

TravelCheap3 Member

I went on only one bus in India and I didn't really like it. The bus I was on was pretty crowded and people seemed to be eyeing me down a little. I would personally have to say no.

4. arthnel

arthnel Member

It can be really scary. I've taken the bus and it's a totally packed affair sometimes. Yes it's true that sometimes they do not come to a full stop to let passengers off. It's really just you knowing how to hop off when it slows and keep running or face the embarrassment of falling on your face. It's not very often you will hear about cases like gang rape and assault. What happened back in 2012 was absolutely terrible for that young woman and her friend and family. It shouldn't reflect poorly on public transportation in India, but it was a national disgrace relating to not enough laws protecting women, especially back then.

5. Sammie

Sammie Member

I wasn't even thinking of that incident in 2012. That was a horrible thing and I would hope that women can feel safe walking around India, especially tourists. It does not bode well for their tourism if, because you are a woman you are treated with less respect.

I was curious about the public transportation and whether it would be worth using while there.

6. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

Somewhat yes.

Bus drivers in delhi are sometimes in hurry(dunno why) if they see many people at the bus stop they do stop but if the stop has a few people and they dont(sometimes)... this is my personal opinion

7. arthnel

arthnel Member

I think it's really all about the hustle in the streets if India. It's not just common to India because it also happens in Caribbean islands and I've seen it in the streets of New York too. Many of these vehicles are license but not as what they call Public Passenger Vehicles, so they do what they can before authorities catch them and take the vehicles away. Just the hustle, I guess.

8. Rezonate

Rezonate Member

The buses are generally over crowded with people and usually going at high speeds. Also depending on where which region you are in the buses tend to be a little out dated and old.

9. Benti

Benti New Member

Are buses safe anywhere? It's all public transportation. If you are in a strange land, you just have to be aware of your surroundings and keep both eyes open at all times.

10. arthnel

arthnel Member

I totally agree with that @Benti. I found traveling by bus in several different countries to have common features but features that added tremendously to the travel experience. I've never been really endangered, but it still looked risky many times with the changing of lanes and overtaking with another vehicle coming head-on at your bus:eek::eek::eek:. But at the same time I've met very interesting people and had great conversations in those situations as well.

11. Sharon

Sharon New Member

This is what I immediately thought of when the thread title posed the question of buses being safe. After what happened to Jyoti, I would be fearful of attack, too.

12. AanchalSingh

AanchalSingh New Member

We can say, its 50-50. Now Delhi Govt is taking actions regarding this issue and they will definitely overcome this major problem.

13. Sharath S

Sharath S Member

Well, the answer to that question is two-fold. The answer depends on the crowd you are travelling with. If the bus is not crowded and people are polite, you are good to go. Otherwise, you might have to struggle your way through the commute. Most of the buses in Delhi are crowded and the only way to avoid this is to travel in a luxury bus. It might be expensive, but it is worth the investment you make for your safety. It is also advisable to be cautious and have care to not get into a bus without people. But all that is changing gradually. So it is Ok to travel in Delhi by Bus.

arthnel and Admin like this.
  14. Benti

Benti New Member

There are some countries where it is a matter of course that people travel by bus, yet there are some places, I will use Atlanta as an example, where it is frowned upon to ride the bus. In many suburbs, they ban buses, because they think it brings undesirables to the community.