1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delhi To Agra By Car

Discussion in 'North India' started by Indy, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Indy

Indy New Member

I wish to travel to Agra from Delhi and would like some help regarding the journey and some other aspects like places to eat and the route. We will be visiting Agra to see the Taj Mahal, but also please other locations to visit.

What route should I take from traveling from Delhi to Agra?

Is Yamuna Expressway used to reach Agra?

What time should I leave Delhi to reach Agra at a good time and avoid the afternoon heat?

Are there any good places to stop at to eat on the way?

Should I visit the Taj Mahal at night as well?

What other places of interest are there in Agra?

2. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I cannot answer all these questions, but I would recommend seeing the Taj Mahal during the day and at night. It is very different at both times. At night, or during sunset, it is very romantic. I know there was some talk a while back of installing a colored light show, but I do not know if that has happened yet. It would be great to see.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Indy! Welcome to the forum!

So there are different routes you can take to reach Agra from Delhi:
    • Route No. 1 via Taj Express Highway or Yamuna Expressway - Delhi > Noida > Greater Noida > Dankaur > Rabupura > Jewar > Tappal > Bajna > Surir > Baldeo > Agra.
    • Route No. 2 via NH509 - Delhi > Noida > Greater Noida > Gharbara > Dankaur > Rabupura > Jewar > Tappal > Jattari > Khedi > Andla > Hathras > Sadabad > Agra.
    The first route is via the Taj Express Highway or Yamuna Expressway and is about 231 kms. You can reach Agra in about four hours with this route. This is also the route that I'd recommend to you, especially if you come from the Ghaziabad, Noida or Greater Noida areas. But even if not, you only need to reach Noida and from there reach the Expressway. This is the quickest route that you can take to reach Agra.

The second route is via NH509 which is about 244 kms. You can reach Agra in about 4 and a half hours or more with this one. It's a good route as well if you're coming from the Greater Noida area. But it can take you longer to reach Agra with this one.

Yes, you can use the Yamuna Expressway to reach Agra as I have mentioned in the above post. It's the quickest way to reach Agra from Delhi. The Yamuna Expressway is a 165 km long, 6 lane expressway, connecting Greater Noida with Delhi. The speed limit on this expressway is 100 km/h per vehicle. There are three toll points in the expressway:
    • Tappal Exit - Rs. 105 for car/jeep/van.
    • Mathura Exit - Rs. 240 for car/jeep/van.
    • Agra Exit - Rs. 510 for car/jeep/van.
    I would suggest leaving before 6:00 am to avoid the traffic or morning rush within Delhi. You might be able to reach Agra before lunch if you leave before 6:00 am from Delhi.

There are a few eateries after each toll point in the expressway. There are also toilets in these stopovers that are quite clean. Just after Noida, there's Hariom Fast Food, which serves some good-tasting dhabas that are quite affordable. Apart from that, after the expressway, you can find some chains like Domino's Pizza and McDonald's.

Visiting the Taj Mahal at night time is a great opportunity. The backdrop of the dark sky and its reflection amidst the Taj Mahal is a different experience in itself as compared to viewing it in the sunrise, afternoon or sunset. So if you are lucky to be there during the full moon, or two nights before or after the full moon, do visit the Taj Mahal then.

However, if you're timing or schedule doesn't do well with the full moon, visiting the Taj Mahal during sunrise or sunset is also very fulfilling. The orange sunset and sunrise still has some reflection to the Taj Mahal and very much worth it to see.

Here are some other attractions in Agra:
    • Agra Fort - This is about 2.5 kms from the Taj Mahal. This was the former residence of the Mughal Dynasty. Although the present structure was built by the Mughals, the Agra Fort was formerly known as the Badalgarh Fort, which was then a brick fort built by Raja Badal Singh. The former fort is believed to have been built in the 11th Century. Sikandar of Lodi was the first Delhi Sultan to have lived in the fort and thereafter, his son Ibrahim Lodi also lived in the fort. Several structures were built by him inside the fort. Babur also lived in the fort and in fact built a step well in it. Until 1555, the Suris resided in the fort until Adil Shah captured it from them. But in 1558, Akbar conquered the fort and made it his capital. He also renovated the fort and made it with red sandstone. But the present structure of the fort can be credited to Akbar's grandson, Shah Jahan, in which he destroyed many of the older structures to give way to his marble structures. The walls of the fort are about 70 feet high and it has 4 entrance gates. The Khas Mahal and the Jahangiri Mahal can be found inside the fort.
    • Fatehpur Sikri - This is a city in the Agra District of Uttar Pradesh. Formerly, its name was Vijaypur Sikari and was later changed by Akbar to Fatehabad, meaning victorious. The name was later changed to Fatehpur Sikri. The city is bordered by a wall on its three sides and a lake on one side. All structures in the city were made using red sandstone and it has about nine entrance gates. There are many important structures in the city, like the Buland Darwaza, which was built by Akbar in 1576 AD. Its name means Gate of Magnificence. This is the highest gateway in the world and is a fine example of Mughal architecture. This gateway was built to commemorate Akbar's victory over the Gujarats. The Jama Masjid is another architectural marvel in the city. It was Shah Jahan who built this in the 17th Century. This is one of the largest mosques in India and has a blend of Persian and Islamic architecture. Other structures worth visiting here are the following: Tomb of Salim Chishti, Diwan I Aam, Diwan I Khas, Ibadan Khana, Naubat Khana and Panch Mahal.
    • Samadhi Swamiji Maharaj Bagh - This is also known as Swami Bagh. It was constructed by Sri Shiv Dayal Singh Seth which was the founder of the Radhasoami Faith. Inside, you'll find a painting of what's supposed to be the finished look of the structure. It's still a work in progress and its devotees are still trying to finish the Swami Bagh, even after 80 years since it was first constructed.
    • Akbar's Mauseloum - This is also known as the Tomb of Akbar the Great. Akbar himself started its construction in 1600 although his son, Jahangir, finally completed it within 1605–1613. You can find this about 8 kms Northwest of the city centre of Agra.
    • Itimad Ud Daula's Tomb - This is also known as the Baby Taj. This as built between 1622 and 1628 under Nur Jahan, the wife of Jahangir, for her father, Itimad Ud Daula Mirza Ghiyas Beg. The interior design of the tomb resembles that of the Taj Mahal, which is why this is named the Baby Taj.
    • Chini Ka Rauza - This is a memorial monument built in 1635 for Allama Afzal Khan Mullah, a scholar and poet. He was also the Prime Minister of Emperor Shah Jahan. The facade of the monument is the best known example of glazed tiling or kashi or chini.
    • Mariam Uz Zamani Tomb - This is the tomb of Mariam Uz Zamani, the Hindu wife of Akbar. It was built by her son, Jahangir, after her in 1623. You can still spot some carvings and floral paintings in the mausoleum, which has already faded in time.
    • Shah Burj - This is also known as the Musamman Burj. This was built by Shah Jahan for Mumtaz Mahal. It was built between 1631 and 1640 and you can also see the Taj Mahal from here. Shah Jahan spent his last days here while being held captive by his son, Aurangzeb.
    • Mehtab Bagh - This garden is opposite the Taj Mahal and Agra Fort. It is believed that it was Emperor Babur who built this garden. Its width is identical to that of the Taj Mahal as well. Legend has it that Shah Jahan wanted to build a black marble mausoleum for himself but wasn't able to do so as he was imprisoned by his son, Aurangzeb. It is also referred to as the Moonlight Garden.
    I hope this helps.

:)