1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drone Cameras

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by jnorth88, Apr 4, 2016.

1. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

For my upcoming trip, I would like to take my new drone camera, but i am worried if that is allowed at most landmarks. Does anyone know what the current policies or the reactions would be to flying a drone and taking pictures of landmarks. I don't think it would work at places like the Taj Mahal, but at some of the other historic sites?

2. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Most countries in the world have different laws when it comes to using these drone cameras, and I'd imagine that India won't be any different.

You'll also probably find that the private monuments or sites of interest, their laws of what you can and can't do will differ from the public areas so I'd certainly double check before taking it. India is grtting more and more popular as a tourist destination these days, and if you can't find the information you bees online, then you'll find an email address that can be used to ask these types of questions.

You'll also find that an email to the hotel you're staying in will often help as they will find out any local information you need if you're struggling, as at the end of the day they'll want to make your trip as enjoyable as possible so will be willing to help with most queries.

3. rajesh

rajesh Member

In my opinion, at most of the 'public' tourists places (not controlled by the government), you can actually take this drone camera with you but for the privately owned places, you may need to take 'special permissions' from the managers of a particular place. In the past, there were many stories on the Internet which revealed the illegal works of some people who traveled to some places. So, I would recommend you to take special permissions from the owners if you want to be completely safe (legally). :)

4. knitmehere

knitmehere Member

rajesh is correct. Most public places are fine with the use of cameras of any kind, but privately owned and government locations might be a bit more strict about it. This is one of those situations where it pays to call a head and find out.

5. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

If it's a public place just go for it. In an ideal world no security or government can tell you it's illegal. Just be careful of not disturbing or harming others accidentally with your drone. I've seen it happen.

6. Maja

Maja Member

I think it would be allowed in most areas, except for areas of worship (probably?). Anyway, if your drone doesn't make much noise and it won't be disturbing anyone, I think that it would be okay to use it.

7. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Flying drones at any of the tourist destinations would get you arrested instantly if you do not have prior written permission.

Please do not advise others based on what you "think" as that could land someone into trouble.

8. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

The first thing you would need to do once you land in India is declare you have a drone and pay the extra tax for bringing it in the country. Drones are now included in the list of prohibited and taxed goods in India, the law was just passed last April 1.

In India, from what I've researched, flying your drone in private property is okay if the property is yours. If it's not, you would need to obtain permission from the owner of the private property. When it comes to public places, you would also need to obtain permission from local authorities before flying your drone. Just keep these in mind:

• Don't fly the drone in crowded areas.
    • Don't fly the drone in military areas.
    • Don't fly the drone in airports.
    I hope this helps!

9. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

I don't know, it sounds cool and you can probably talk about it to curious locals who see you with it, but most people would probably see it as an invasion of their privacy. I mean, how would you like it if someone came to your backyard with a camera and just start taking pictures of everything? You wouldn't want it either.

10. MissT

MissT New Member

I think you should make an effort to find out before you go if it's allowed or not, rather than taking your drone along only to have to leave it in your hotel room, which would be very frustrating. I just got my first camera drone and I know just how exciting it can be to do a bit of surveillance over a new area. Another thing you have to be wary of is people shooting down your drone. I hear that happens a lot.

11. djtravels

djtravels Member

They'll arrest you for terrorism if you fly a drone anywhere near certain monuments and locations. But, its easy enough to find out where you can or cannot fly drones, so you don't get in trouble. There are limits to how high you can fly drones, but again they wary from place to place.

Just visit the Tourism department kiosks or offices or call them up to find out. Also, even in places where you are not allowed, you can get special permissions to shoot. So, why not go through the extra trouble to get a permit.

I remember a famous case of 2 Americans and 2 Aussies getting arrested and almost charged with terrorism for flying a drone near the Ganges Evening Aarti. Don't be those guys because you'll then be on the list of loonies for the agencies of US, India, Israel, Germany, and Britain.