1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Havelock Island

Discussion in 'By The Sea' started by Sushant, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Sushant

Sushant New Member

I would like to take my wife to Havelock Island this year, and I would like to find out more about the destination before I finalise anything. As I don't know anyone who has been to Havelock Island or knows anything about it, I thought the best thing to do would join this forum and ask, so my hopes are high on getting all of my queries answered.

1. How far is Havelock Island from Port Blair?

2. Are any special permits required when entering the island?

3. Is it easy to find an ATM at Havelock Island as I don't like carrying a lot of cash with me?

4. What kind of properties can I find to stay at near the beach? Would I be able to find huts?

5. What kind of food is available at Havelock Island? Any restaurant recommendations?

6. What activities can be done at Havelock Island?

7. What are the places of interest?

8. How many beaches does Havelock Island have?

9.. Which beach do you recommend?

10. How many days should we stay at Havelock Island?

11. When is the best month to visit?

2. Destiny

Destiny Member

Hello! It's great to hear you're visiting Havelock. A couple years ago I visited the all the Andaman Islands, it was absolutely wonderful. I've actually visited Havelock three times because I love it so much! So, I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.

1. I believe it's about 60 km from Port Blair... roughly.

2. No, there isn't. You can take a government ferry or private cruise... I took a private cruise much nicer than the ferries.

3. I would recommend having cash but I've seen a few ATMs in high tourist areas.

4. There are TONS of resorts lined up on the beaches... you're sure to find something you like.

5. Oh God! THE FOOD! Stop anywhere and everywhere you like! There's so many wonderful restaurants there!

6. While I was there I did snorkeling, scuba diving, sea walking and so much more amazing things! It's really fun! Most activities are located at Elephant Beach.

7. Elephant Beach has the most activities but Radha Nagar is considered the most beautiful beach in Asia.

8. Seven... I think.

9. Either Elephant Beach for activities or Radha Nagar for the scenery. But, all the beaches are beautiful and these two tend to be pretty packed.

10. As long as you want!

11. Many of the private cruises only operate during certain times of the year. I can't remember off the top of my head but I'm sure some Googling can help you out on that. I'd consider going when the cruise you'd like to take there is operating.

Also! Havelock has HUGE crocodiles! One year while I was visiting a tourist was killed while swimming. They caught it and killed but it was a big deal during my stay because the guy was staying in the same resort. So be careful in the water!

Admin likes this.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Sushant! Welcome to the forum!

The distance between Havelock Island and Port Blair is about 67.1 kms which is about 3 to 4 hours of travel time.

There are two answers to this question:
    • For Indians: No passport or visa or permit are required to enter the islands.
    • For foreigners: A passport with an Indian visa is required for foreigners entering Havelock Islands via ferry, airplane or yacht. In addition to that, they would also need a Restricted Area Permit, which can be obtained on arrival to Port Blair. Those arriving via boat or yacht would need to have the permit prior to entering the islands. This RAP allows you to stay in the islands for a minimum of 30 days and a maximum of 45 days (Extension needs to be obtained from Police Station in Havelock or Immigration Office in Port Blair.
    There are two ATM machines in the Havelock Islands:
    • State Bank of India - You can find this in the Govind Nagar Village 3. You can find their ATM between Beach 2 and Govind Nagar Village 3.
    • Axis Bank - You can also find their ATM between Govind Nagar Village 3 and Beach 2.
    It's still best though to carry cash with you, in case you aren't near the vicinity of these ATMs.

There are plenty of beach hut accommodations near the beach. An even cheaper option would be tents which are also available near the beach. For a higher end option, there are suites and villas as well. Here's a few options you have:

Beach Huts in Havelock Islands
    • Island Vinnie's Tropical Beach Cabana - They have very affordable huts for as low as Rs. 500 per night. Their upgraded huts are at just Rs. 999 per night, still very affordable. They also offer diving, snorkelling, bird-watching and kayaking activities.
    • Emerald Gecko - They have huts with common bathrooms. Otherwise, there are more expensive huts that have private bathrooms. Their rates start at Rs. 1,200 per night.
    Villas and Suites in Havelock Islands
    • Barefoot at Havelock - Rooms here are quite luxurious with AC and complete with amenities. They also have a restaurant, bar and lounge. Room rates here start at Rs. 7,800 per night.
    • Cross Bill Resort - Rates here start at Rs. 2,500 per night. Rooms are complete with basic amenities. They also have a restaurant in the resort.
    All of these accommodations are very near the beach too.

You can find a variety of cuisines in restaurants in Havelock Island. Some of the most famous restaurants are:
    • Something Different - A Beach Side Cafe Restaurant - This can be found in Beach No. 2 in the island. They have Indian, Italian and Chinese cuisines. They are best known for their pizzas though. Their Chicken Malai Kebab is another worth trying dish.
    • Full Moon Cafe Restaurant - This can be found in Beach No. 3 in the island. They have Chinese, Indian and Asian cuisines. Their seafood dishes receive praises from guests.
    • Red Snapper Restaurant - This is managed by the Wild Orchid Hotel. They have Indian and Asian cuisines. Try out their seafood dishes especially the fresh fishes.
    There's not so many restaurants in the island. But you can try the restaurants managed by the hotels. They serve scrumptious food and their seafoods are always fresh.

There are many activities that you can do in the island:
    • Scuba Diving - For the beginners, you can avail of the courses for newbies regarding diving. And for the experts, they can explore the islands and the rich marine life.
    • Sea Walk - This is a great activity for the non-swimmers. You can walk under water much like an astronaut doing a moon walk.
    • Snorkelling - Beginners in swimming can enjoy snorkelling as well, with the shallower parts of the water.
    • Fishing - Some fishing trips can last for a few hours, others for days. It depends upon you and your preference.
    Here are some of the attractions in the island:
    • Radhanagar Beach - This is one of the best beaches in the whole of Asia. With its calm and blue waters, along with the powdery white sands, it's no wonder this is one of the best attractions in the island. You can also snorkel and ride an elephant here.
    • Elephant Beach - Another great beach, with white sands and turquoise waters. Diving and snorkelling are also done in here.
    • Kalapathar Beach - This is a bit further away but worth a visit. The black rocks lining the shores add some charm to the beach.
    There are seven beaches in the Havelock Islands:
    • Jetty Beach or Beach No. 1
    • Beach No. 2
    • Govind Nagar Beach or Beach No. 3
    • Elephant Beach or Beach No. 4
    • Vijaynagar Beach or Beach No. 5
    • Kalapathar Beach or Beach No. 6
    • Radhanagar Beach or Beach No. 7
    Like I've mentioned above, Elephant Beach, Radhanagar Beach and Kalapathar Beach are my favourites.

I think a week should be enough for exploring Havelock Islands. You'd have to allot two days for travelling to and back to Port Blair.

The best months to visit Havelock would be from October to May. Water activities are open during this time and so are almost all accommodations.

I hope this helps!