1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

India To Nepal By Land

Discussion in 'Nepal' started by zeneric, Mar 14, 2015.

1. zeneric

zeneric New Member

We are a small group of friends, spending our gala time in India, other day we were watching a documentary on Kathmandu and we really loved the terrain and places around so now we are considering overland trip from India to Kathmandu. Now problem we have is that we have little or no idea how to travel from India to Nepal by land and what are the formalities which we need to meet in order to make this trip real.

Here are some of our concerns:
    1. As Indian's don't need a visa for Nepal so is it same for foreigners traveling from India to Nepal?
    2. If Visa is required, then where do we need to apply for it and how much time it normally takes?
    3. Is Nepal worth visiting for a short time (less than a week)?
    4. How safe it is for foreigners?

Please share your thoughts and suggestions.

Cheers!!

2. K.Thomas

K.Thomas New Member

The best option for your plan is to take DTC (Delhi Transport Corporation) bus from Ambedkar stadium bus terminus. It is comfortable and safe 30 hours journey from New Delhi to Kathmandu. The route is New Delhi-Lucknow-Gorakhpur-Sanauli-Bhairahawa-Kathmandu.

3. Aadi

Aadi Member

There are several designated entry points from India to Nepal,

(1) Kakkarvitta
    (2) Birgunj
    (3) Belhiya, Bhairahawa
    (4) Nepalgunj
    (5) Dhangadi and
    (6) Mahendranagar

As Thomas suggested, DTC bus from New Delhi to Kathmandu is the best bet for you but still if you want to customize the trip or want to do it on your own then go for it and it’s not difficult at all. Now about your questions:

1. As Indian's don't need a visa for Nepal so is it same for foreigners traveling from India to Nepal?
    Only Indian citizens don't need visa in Nepal but for foreigners Visa is required which is available on arrival, cost of 15 days multi entry visa is USD 25. Please mind that nationals of Ghana, Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Somalia, Iraq and Afghanistan and cannot visa on arrival at the immigration point.

2. If Visa is required, then where do we need to apply for it and how much time it normally takes?
    Before crossing Indian border stop at Indian immigration office to get a departure stamp on your passport and as soon as you cross the border stop at Nepali immigration office (it's on your right when you cross the border) to get your visa on arrival. It will not take more than an hour for all of you to get your visa on arrival.

3. Is Nepal worth visiting for a short time (less than a week)?
    Yes its 100% worth visiting, sometimes I have been for 2 days too :)

4. How safe it is for foreigners?
    It is totally safe if you use your common sense; Nepali people are very friendly and helpful but beware of travel agents and touts.

Happy Journey :)

4. Major

Major New Member

Do a lot of people travel to Nepal by road? It is the first time I have heard that you can travel to Nepel by bus.

5. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

The Majority of people traveling between India and Nepal go by road. Foreign visitors mostly take a flight into one of the airports in Nepal. There are a number of border crossings between Nepal and India that can be used. A lot of Indians take their own cars to Nepal for their holiday that only requires some quick paper work.

These days roads to Nepal are all blocked by people who are protesting against the new constitution that was passed a few days ago and even essential commodities are not entering Nepal from India due to the blockade. Land route is best avoided until this unrest goes away.

6. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Of course, travel by land is more dependent on where you are starting from. If it is Chennai, or further, I would recommend flying. A cheap flight should not be too bad and will be far quicker. But driving will take a lot of time, gas, and the roads can vary in quality. Even getting into Nepal, the roads are very curvy. Some areas have not been fully repaired. Although entirely possible, it is quite the hassle.

7. Elizabetonth

Elizabetonth Member

I took the bus from Varanasi, and, although it must be said that it was not very comfortable, it was perfectly simple and convenient. @Aadi's advice is spot on - I need add little else! I shall, though, echo on points 3 and 4. It's definitely worth visiting for less than a week. It's incredibly beautiful, it's fun to see the differences between Nepali Indian culture, dress, and attitude, and the food is delicious. Go and eat momos. Re. point 4, while, as with all travelling, you should keep your wits about you and be careful of touts, don't mistrust everybody - a lot of people are genuinely trying to help you. I wasn't aware of the protests that @Chahal mentioned, though, so I hope that you manage to find a route to Nepal that suits you when you plan to visit.