1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learning About Hinduism In India

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by jnorth88, Feb 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I am very interested to learn more about the Hindu religion while I visit India. I am wondering what are the best places to learn of the religion and practices, from religious sites to museums? I would really love to take part in the religious rites, and wonder if this is possible for outsiders? If anyone has information, it would be greatly appreciated?

2. M.Nayak

M.Nayak Member

Best places to learn and practice Hinduism will be Varanasi,Haridwar or Rishikesh,you can join any of their Ashrams to know about the meditation while doing this there are very knowledgeable GURUS,(Spiritual teachers),to have speeches and explanations about Hinduism.While touring in India you can visit many religious sites and temples and can participate their ceremonies in the mornings and evenings.Also you can hire knowledgeable,Government authorised tour guides while visiting the monuments,who could explain you about Hinduism as well.If you are not going to the places like Varanasi,Haridwar or Rishikesh during your trip to India then there is a place in Rajasthan called Pushkar is also a nice place where you can meet some of the Gurus or Yoga teachers or the priests who could tell you about it.There are no such a museums in India,dedicated to solely Hinduism.you can get many books on Hinduism,written by many different national & international authors.You can PM me If you want to have some basic informations on Hinduism,

3. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Thank you for your reply. I will be traveling with two teenage boys. Would they find these to be rewarding cultural experiences? I am very happy to hear about government authorized guides. Is there a list of them, or are they hired through an office? Is this something that can be arranged in advance?

4. Rako

Rako Guest

Why not think about visiting Dwarka and Lothal and the Indus valley sites in Punjab? Those places must be a cradle for Indus religion. They should have some museums.

5. arunava basu

arunava basu New Member

Just go to Varanasi and see how Hindus follow their religious beliefs with all its good and bad things being accepted as part of the religion. But if you want to know Hinduism properly, read the great books like the Vedas and the Gita and the Vedanta Books written by the ancient sages. Hinduism is not merely a religion, it a way of life and as it is said you need not be a believer in God to be a Hindu. It is independent of the Gods and it has sustained by being a way of life without being a religion. Its complicated and I cannot speak about it in such a short time and space. come and experience yourself.!!!!!!!!!