1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living and working in India

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by JolaGibbs, Dec 31, 2014.

1. JolaGibbs

JolaGibbs New Member

Hi

My boyfriend and I are planning to live in India for a year or so and we are wondering how difficult it is to find a job there and how hard is it to earn a living in India. Is it really difficult to get a work Visa for India and how difficult it is to get a reputable job there?

We know that we need to stick to a big city to find a good job so can anyone recommend a city and what type of work can we get there? We both are graduates from the US.

Regards

2. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

For a work visa you need to have a job offer and need to have a salary that is above the minimum limit set by the government from time to time, I am not sure what the current minimum salary criteria is but there is one I know that much.

Cities like Delhi already have loads of foreigners living and working here and I know a few who have been living here long enough to be able to speak Hindi so they must have liked something about the country. Making a living is not hard atall and new jobs are being created thick and fast these days with the economy picking up quickly with the arrival of new government this year.

I would recommend NewDelhi/Gurgaon and Mumbai.

3. Gori Bride

Gori Bride Member

I have been living in Delhi for some time now as you can tell by my ID that I am married to an Indian guy. I did work for a few months and found it alright with no problems atall. People are very friendly and welcoming to foreigners. Living costs are very low and things like council tax and TV license are non existent. Car insurance is way too cheap and even hiring a full time driver and maid leaves us enough to save for retirement even though we only have one income so it is pretty good.

You will obviously need to make some adjustments but its all good overall.

4. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Just like any other western country you need to have a job offer prior to applying for a work visa. Most foreigners who work here are normally are transferred by multinational companies but the trend is changing as more and more people have started applying for jobs directly with Indian companies. The only problem however is that there is a specified minimum salary that you need to have for getting the visa.