1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Palika Bazaar In Delhi

Discussion in 'North India' started by Nikita, May 7, 2016.

1. Nikita

Nikita New Member

I will be in Delhi attending a friend's wedding, after which I will be going out to explore Delhi. The first on the list is shopping, and I have most of the popular places covered. One shopping place which I am quite unsure of is Palika Bazaar.

What kind of things can I expect to get from this location?

Is it worth going to Palika Bazaar?

Is it a good place to shop or not?

This is next to Janpath market isn't it?

2. Jennifer Martin

Jennifer Martin New Member

Palika Bazaar in Delhi is a place where you can get a product Rs. 100 when the seller's price is Rs.1000, but you should be good at bargaining. The stuffs there is almost duplicates.

3. Deven

Deven Member

Palika Bazaar is an underground shopping plaza which is very big. You would find all sorts of products there from tech products, clothing to perfumes, etc. Most of the products would be replicas, so don't be fooled into thinking they are original products. If you do end up buying something don't get ripped off, as at first you will be told a very high price, so don't forget to bargain.

I would not exactly say it is a good place to shop, but a good place to see the kind of products sold and have a browse through things.

Correct Palika bazaar is next to Janpath.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Nikita! Welcome to the forum!

Palika Bazaar is an underground, air-conditioned market, located within the famous Connaught Place in Delhi. It has about 380 numbered shops selling various items and knick-knacks. This market has been in the business since the 1970s. It is estimated that over 15,000 people are within Palika Bazaar, at any given time. There are also about seven entry gates within the bazaar.

Here are the various items you can expect to buy from Palika Bazaar:
    • Apparels and Clothing Items - They are mostly duplicates of famous brands so you can find them at cheaper prices. Bargaining is a must, as sellers here are known for quoting the item's price three to four times its actual value. However, you cannot expect much for the quality of the clothes.
    • Electronics - Gadgets and mobile phones are usually the lower end ones, not really fake but more like the cheaper variants. However, there are no warranties with these gadgets so buy at your own risk.
    • CDs and DVDs - You can find various games, movies and music here as well. There are many pirated CDs and DVDs too which has lead to the bazaar being raided many times by the authorities.
    • Traditional Indian Clothes - Pashminas, shawls and other traditional clothing items can also be bought here.
    • Souvenirs - Various small statues, idols and wooden carvings can also be found in the bazaar.
    • Jewellery and Accessories - You can find silver, semi-precious and lakh jewelries here. You can also find beaded accessories.
    • Eye Glasses and Contact Lenses - There are various optical shops here where you can buy eye glass lenses and frames as well as contact lenses.
    • Leather Goods - You can also find leather shoes, leather bags and other items made of leather here.

I think it's worth going to especially if you're a first time traveller to the country. You won't exactly find branded or high-end items here. But if you're just wanting to do some window shopping or maybe buy some cheap items for your trip, then it's a great place to start. I'd recommend the clothing items here like shirts, pullovers and jeans. Their shawls and scarves are also worth looking into.

If you're an economical shopper, who doesn't mind brands at all, then yes, it's a good place to shop. Make sure you bring somebody with you or you shop with a group so you won't get cheated or scammed. Also, don't fall for their huge markups in prices. It's always best to haggle and bargain as the prices quoted to you will always be higher. And you can always look in other shops as there's a huge number here anyway.

Yes, Janpath Market is only about 400 metres from Palika Bazaar. You can visit Janpath Market and Palika Bazaar in one day because of their proximity with one another.

I hope this helps.:)