1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Places to Visit in Kashmir in August

Discussion in 'Jammu & Kashmir' started by Mohit1980, May 31, 2016.

1. Mohit1980

Mohit1980 New Member

My initial trip to visit Kashmir was in June, but for personal reasons I have had to postpone it until August. I know the peak tourist months to visit Kashmir are in May, June, and July, and I know people do visit August, so I am expecting a few number of tourists as compared to the other months.

My main query is the places to visit in Kashmir. There are many parts which I am unaware of in Kashmir, as I would love to visit all the places in Kashmir as I do not think I there would be another chance to visit Kashmir again. Please provide a list of the places to visit in Kashmir in August.

I would also like to know whether there would be any snow activities there for the family to take part in. Will there even be snow in Kashmir during August?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Here's a few places you can visit in Kashmir during August:

• Sonamarg. Just barely after the monsoon season in August, Sonamarg comes alive with its lush greeneries and meadows. There is still occasional rain but there will still be sunny days. Dubbed as the "Meadow of Gold," you'd find yourself lost in the beauty of nature in this place.
    • Kupwara. Although not really known by many, Kupwara is a great place to visit just before the monsoon season officially ends in Kashmir. It has fresh air, clean water, lush meadows and beautiful mountains. The Lolab Valley and Bungas Valley are among the most visited destinations here.
    • Pulwama. Visit the Aharbal Waterfalls and be amazed by its natural beauty. Just around the waterfalls, you'll find thick fir forests. Another one you should definitely visit is the meadows of Kungwattan. It's virgin and untouched, making it one of the most beautiful meadows in Kashmir. Try out a picnic at Tarsar and Marsar Lake, which is very relaxing and tranquil, great for families and couples.
    • Pahalgam. Another uncrowded destination, Pahalgam is not to be taken lightly. In here are different valleys, a temple and a river to visit. The Lidder River is probably my favourite as the waters are very clean and pristine. The Aru and Betaab Valleys are great for just relaxing or even having a little picnic. The Mamaleshwara Temple has worshippers all around the world.
    Some places in Kashmir have snow all year round. Sonamarg's Thajiwas Glacier has snow practically all-year round. The same goes for the upper parts of Sonamarg Valley. Gulmarg also has snow almost all year round.

Snow activities that are available all year round are:

• Gondola Ride. There's not much snow to see but it's still worth riding the gondola to see the views from the top. This is available in Gulmarg.
    • Trekking. You can enjoy trekking during this time as it isn't too hot nor too cold. Just make sure that there is no heavy rain when you do so. There are trekking services available in Pahalgam.
    Other activities like skiing, ice skating and snowboarding aren't available all year round.

I hope this helps!

3. Shiv

Shiv Member

August is an excellent time to visit Kashmir as the weather is pleasant, and the natural beauty is at its peak. Here are some of the top places to visit in Kashmir in August:

1. Srinagar - The capital city of Jammu and Kashmir is a must-visit place in August. The famous Dal Lake, Mughal Gardens, Shankaracharya Temple, and Hazratbal Shrine are some of the popular tourist attractions here.

2. Gulmarg - This picturesque hill station is located at an altitude of 2,650 meters above sea level and is known for its natural beauty and adventure sports. You can enjoy activities like trekking, golfing, and skiing here.

3. Pahalgam - This scenic town is situated on the banks of the Lidder River and is known for its stunning views of the Himalayas. You can enjoy activities like trekking, camping, and white water rafting here.

4. Sonamarg - This beautiful valley is located at an altitude of 2,800 meters above sea level and is known for its snow-capped mountains, glaciers, and glistening streams. You can enjoy activities like trekking and camping here.
    In addition to these places, you can also explore the local markets, try local delicacies, and indulge in cultural experiences.