1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Places To Visit Near Bangalore

Discussion in 'South India' started by Jeevan, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Jeevan

Jeevan New Member

Between 27th April to 29th April 2016 I will be in Bangalore for a conference, after which I have a weekend free with two extra working days off, that is a total of four days which I will use for places to visit near Bangalore.

As I would be new in the area, I will need help from those whom are from Bangalore or have been there to recommend some good places to visit.

I don't have any specific interest in anything and, try taking an interest in all kinds of things, so all suggestions are welcome for visiting places.

I don't mind going out of Bangalore either, as long as it doesn't exceed three days and isn't too far out from Bangalore. I have heard that there are some beautiful hills near Bangalore and worth a visit.

I would be booking a taxi for my trips be it within Bangalore or outside of Bangalore.

2. Destiny

Destiny Member

I absoutely love Lal Bagh, it's a beautiful botanical garden. And, Cubbon Park is a must see. Be sure to stop by Bangalore Palace and Mayo Hall before you leave, it's a beautiful sight!

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Jeevan! Welcome to the forum!

There are many attractions in the city of Bangalore itself. You'd have to allot at least two days for these attractions. I'm going to list some of the must-visit places in Bangalore. Here they are:

Places to Visit in Bangalore
    • Tipu Sultan Fort and Palace - This is also known as Bangalore Fort and Tipu Sultan's Summer Palace. It was Kempe Gowda I who built the mud fort but Hyder Ali renovated it and replaced it to become a stone fort. Back then, the fort has a school, cemetery and church. Now, the only remnants in the fort are the Delhi Gate and the two bastions. The palace is now a museum which holds some portraits and items from that era.
    • Lal Bagh Botanical Gardens - This means the Red Garden, which was originally commissioned by Hyder Ali and later finished by Tipu Sultan. This botanical garden houses India's largest collection of tropical plants. This garden was based off the Mughal Garden in Sira at that time. During the month of January, the management holds a number of flower shows in the gardens.
    • Bangalore Palace - This was built by Rev. J. Garrett, the first principal of the Central College in Bangalore. The palace was first constructed in 1862 but was only completed in 1944. It was bout by Maharaja Sri Sir Chamarajendra Wadiyar X during 1844 and is now owned by the Mysore royal family. The palace grounds have seen numerous famous artists like Aerosmith, Elton John and The Rolling Stones.
    • Vidhana Soudha - This is the seat legislature of Karnataka. It was constructed with a Mysore/Neo-Dravidian styles of architecture. During Sundays and public holidays, the building is illuminated and is a delight to watch.
    • Attara Kacheri - This is where the High Court of Karnataka holds its office. It is a two-storey building, made of red brick and stone. It is famous for its Gothic and European styles of architectures. Atari Kacheri means 18 offices, since there were 18 offices at the time that Tipu Sultan moved them to this building.
    • Cubbon Park - This was built in 1870 under Major General Richard Sankey. It was initially named after Sir John Meade, but was later changed to Cubbon Park, in honour of the longest serving commissioner of the time, Sir Mark Cubbon. There are about 6,000 plants inside this park alone.
    • Government Museum - It was Surgeon Edward Balfour who initiated the building of this museum in 1865. It is the second oldest museum in South India. The earliest Kannada inscription, called the Halmidi, is found in this museum. It has 2 exhibition floors showcasing about 18 galleries in total. You can find pottery, coins, jewelries and paintings here.
    • Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium - This was established in the year 1989. There are daily shows about science and the planets running here, both in Kannada and in English. During the first Sunday of every month, a show called Know Your Stars happens. The starts and constellations during that night are highlighted. The planetarium is closed during Mondays and second Tuesdays of each month though.
    • Ulsoor Lake - This is one of the biggest lakes in Bangalore. It was Sir Lewin Bentham Bowring who created the lake. There are boating facilities here which tourists can enjoy.

These next places can be visited as they are very near Bangalore. However, you can only pick one or two as you are short on days. Here are some places near Bangalore that you can fit in your four-day trip:

Places Near Bangalore to Visit (Including Hills!)

1. Savandurga Hills - This is about 60 kms from Bangalore. This is one of the largest monolith hills in Asia. It is about 1,226 metres above sea level. The hills are formed from two smaller hills, namely: Karigudda (black hill) and Biligudda (white hill). Some of the attractions here are:
    • Savandi Veerabhadreshwara Swamy Temple - This is located at the foot of the hills. This is a temple dedicated to the Lord Veerabhadra. Beside the temple, there's also a lake that you can visit.
    • Manchanabele Dam - You can find this across the Arkavathy River. Various water sports are done here but be cautious as the reservoir is a death trap for many tourists. You can still enjoy the dam without pursuing the water sports.
    2. Shivaganga Hill - This is about 50 kms from Bangalore. It is at about 1,368 metres above sea level. The name is derived from its shivalinga shape and the spring that locals call the Ganga. Here are the attractions in Shivaganga Hill:
    • Gangadhareshwara Temple - This is also known as Gavipuram Cave Temple. This was built in the 16th Century by Kempe Gowda. This is rock-cut temple from monolithic stone, dedicated to Lord Shiva. There are four pillars here: two granite pillars that support the giant disk of the sun and moon and the other two have a number of Nandi on top.
    • Olakal Teertha - This is a hidden freshwater lake inside the mountain. Locals drink the water from here using the pipe to drain it.
    • Patala Gange - The name means underground Ganges. Before you enter the shrine, you'd notice that there's a spring beforehand. This water changes its level every time as well.
    • Nandi Statue - This is located at the peak of the hill. It has been carved out of a single rock and there's not enough space to go around it. It makes one wonder how the maker was able to create the statue in such a dangerous position.
    3. Ramanagara - This is about 54 kms from Bangalore. This town is one of the major producers of silk in the country. Some attractions here are:
    • Purushotthama Thirtha Gavi - This is a cave temple dedicated to Lord Hanuman. It is also a very important pilgrimage site for the Madhwa Brahmins.
    • Kanva Reservoir - This is an artificial lake in Ramanagara. It's a great place for bird watching as many species of migratory and resident birds are found here.
    4. Nandi Hills - This is about 60 kms from Bangalore. It is believed that the Arkavathy River originates from here. This hill station is about 1,479 metres above sea level. Some of the attractions here are:
    • Tipu's Drop - This is a cliff of about 600 metres in Nandi Hills. It is believed that the prisoners were dropped here to their death during the time of Tipu. The rustling of the leaves at nights is supposed to represent their screams.
    • Nandi Temple - This is a temple dedicated to Bhoganandishwara and Yoganandeeshwara. But you can also see images of Nandi, Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati here.
    • Amrita Sarovar - This is also known as the Lake of Nectar. This is the main water supply of the village. It's best visited at night time as the water glitters from the light of the stars and moon.

There you go. I hope this helps!:)