1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing initial and adding surname on passport

Discussion in 'Visa and Passport' started by Zaid Azmi, Jun 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Zaid Azmi

Zaid Azmi New Member

Hello there!

I can't figure out how to solve a problem with my name on passport. Tried to search online but no clear answer.

My name on the passport is mentioned as "Mohd Zaid", since that was my name on my 10th class marksheet and birth certificate. But I do not use my initial as "Mohd" and I use a surname. So my name on all the rest of the documents (Driving licence, PAN card, Aadahar Card, Voter ID card, Bank accounts, College Degree) is "Zaid Azmi". This gives me a lot trouble while I try to do anything that involves my passport since the conflict of name in "Mohd Zaid" & "Zaid Azmi".

I want to apply for a new passport with corrected name as "Zaid Azmi". Could someone please let me know the exact procedure? I am confused with so many different answers I found online.

Thanks much!
    Zaid

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

You need to apply for "Re issue" of your passport. Submit all the documents that are required that have the correct name and attach a covering letter explaining the situation and what led you to use a different name for the current passport and why you need one in a different name. They may send you a list of objections or require additional documents from you. This is not a big deal, lots of people get these kind of changes done.

If there is a PSK (passport sewa kendra) near by then go and speak to the information desk and they will guide you better.

3. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

Every female applies for a re-issue after marriage as their last name changes so this is no big deal. Make sure you write a detailed covering letter without trying to be smart, the more info you provide the better. It gives a complete picture to the person dealing with your file and helps in making the process smoother.

I hope you get your passport sorted asap :) welcome to India travel forum.

4. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Zahid bhai you can give them a call as well if you like : 1800-258-1800

Writing a detailed covering letter will surely help. You may get a show cause notice for any confusion they have and provide a satisfactory reply along with supporting documents will see you through.

5. PerhapsIndia

PerhapsIndia New Member

So if you change your name for any reason in general, you can always just go through the re-issue process, right? I am a male but going to be changing my last name in the future, just for reference.

6. Bonzer

Bonzer New Member

You best contact your regional passport office in Delhi. They alone can give you the correct advice. If you search online or contact friends, they may give you all kinda answers based on hearsay. In my view, you just have to get your name corrected in the passport records, after showing sufficient evidence.

They may charge you a fee, but that's how you go.

7. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Changing your name in your passport can be a bit complicated. Here's the exact procedure you have to do:

• Change your name in the newspaper or government gazette. To do this, you just fill out the form in the counter, submit your ID and proof of residence and wait around four weeks for your information to be published.
    • Once your information is published, retrieve those gazettes from the government press. They are free but you can obtain extra copies for Rs 20.
    • Then, you have to make an affidavit and put two ads in newspapers: one locally and the other one in a national paper.
    • You then go to the passport office to submit your requirements and application. Once accepted, you pay the fees, get your receipt and visit the local police station after seven days (although it can take longer than that).
    That's about it... The first three steps are easy. The waiting period is the tough one. I hope this helps!

P.S.

I highlighted the requirements above.