1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road from Manali to Manikaran

Discussion in 'Himachal Pradesh' started by Amrit, May 23, 2015.

1. Amrit

Amrit New Member

I have been to Manali from Chandigarh and the road is fine for driving no issues at all.
    This time I would be going further ahead to Manikaran Sahib and would like to know what the road condition is like and whether I should drive from Manali to Manikaran myself or get a bus?

If you suggest driving there myself if good idea to start the journey late afternoon?

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

The road condition is pretty much the same as it is from Chandigarh to Manali, you wont have any problems driving, so you can easily drive yourself to Manikaran.
    The distance from Manali to Manikaran is around 84km which would take just over 2 hours to reach. I would not start the journey too late in the afternoon, make sure that it doesnt get too dark during the journey which may cause problems in driving.

3. Abhi

Abhi New Member

It is not much of a drive only around seven hours, so if you can manage a seven hour drive its fine if not then either hire a taxi or driver, road conditions are quite good I would suggest driving during daylight hours as it would be easier than driving in the dark.

4. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Seven hours drive on hill roads is a long drive. I have done it and it is not easy. Do not drive if you dont feel 100% and never trust others to follow rules. You will see an odd idiot coming your way in the middle of the road some times. People who live there and the truck drivers are good but some tourists who do not have much experience of driving in the mountains can endanger their own and other peoples lives due to ignorance/lack of knowledge of how to drive on hilly roads especially the sharp bends where roads are not wide enough.

I prefer to drive during the day only and I do not feel any shame in parking the car at a convenient place and taking a nap if I feel sleepy.

Otherwise the roads are good apart from the whole stretch being twists and turns.

5. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The distance between Manali and Manikaran is about 79 kms so that's about 2 to 3 hours of driving. A possible route for you would be:
    • Manali > Naggar > Raison > Kullu > Bhuntar > Kasol > Manikaran
    Road conditions are okay except for a few patches in some roads. You might also encounter steep roads and curves, so it's better if you're an experienced driver. After Bhuntar, it becomes a single lane and it isn't very well-paved so that can be challenging. But overall, it's a must to experience driving in such terrains and enjoying the views en route to Manikaran.

It depends on how experienced of a driver you are. It can be a bit challenging for newbie drivers. But for those who have been driving for years already, they can take this route quite efficiently. If you're not that sure of your driving skills, then you can decide to take a bus although it's a bit more inconvenient.

I would suggest driving earlier in the day. You never know how much cars are in the area and how much delays you might encounter. It's best to travel the route earlier in the day so you can reach your destination before sunset. You can anticipate unexpected delays this way and you won't have to worry driving in the night in case you're delayed for a few hours. Aside from that, the views early in the morning are amazing and it might be a waste if you cannot see them.

I hope this helps!