1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Robbers Cave Dehradun

Discussion in 'North India' started by Shishupal S, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Shishupal S

Shishupal S New Member

I will be in Haridwar for a day and am thinking that maybe I should travel another 50km ahead and go to Dehradun. I have been there before but have missed out on going to robbers cave which I have just read about recently.
    I am thinking why not visit the place since people are saying it is good, but before any final moves I wanted to get some honest opinions from members as I don't really trust what people write on blogs as it can be fake and paid for.
    Please tell me is it worth visiting the robbers cave, and what exactly is it?

Is there anything else to do there like boating or you just see the caves and come back?

2. Shiv

Shiv Member

It is a personal opinion and I think that going to Robbers Cave is worth visiting. It is something different and once you cross the river you will find out how worth it was.

Robbers Cave is a basically a river which goes through caves which have been divided into two naturally. The cave length is 600 meters along which the river flows.

No boating is not done there. You can not really say that you see the caves and come back, it is more like a picnic spot, where you can relax and spend time with the family. It is actually becoming a popular tourist spot in Dehradun.

3. CaptainOblivious

CaptainOblivious New Member

I visited Robbers cave on my visit to Dehradun when I was in college. The caves are not the main attraction, really as most tourists just prefer to spend time in the area around the caves. There are also many people selling drugs there, so be wary of strangers approaching you. Apart from this a good place to be, really.

4. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I think the caves are very interesting, but I think you can honestly skip visiting them. They are not particularly great, and if you are looking at two hours to travel there and back, it might not be worth it.

5. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

First of all, welcome to the forum!

Robber's Cave is also known as Guchhupani, by the locals in Dehradun. In simple terms, it's a natural cave formation with a river flowing inside it. The name of the cave was derived from the legend surrounding it. The story goes that during the British Era, the robbers would seek solitude from these caves and also hide their stolen items here. But there are no evidences proving this story.

The caves are about 600 metres long and you need to walk to reach it from one end to the other. The interiors of the cave are all designed by nature which is hard to believe once you see their natural formations.

The water in the caves reaches up to the knees during monsoon season. However, during the summers and most months of the year, it's only at a level of above the feet. At some parts of the caves, you would be surprised to see the water of the river disappearing, only to appear again after a few metres. This is because at some parts of the caves, the river runs underground.

By the end of the cave, you'd be able to spot a waterfall. It's a favourite spot amongst tourists and locals alike, and it's also a safe area for swimming. It's also a picturesque spot so make sure that you capture its beauty in film.

There really isn't much you can do inside or outside the caves. There are no boating facilities as well. As I've mentioned, you can swim in the waterfall towards the end of the caves. But apart from that, it's a moderate trek and you can only enjoy the beauty around.

If the trek has tired you out, there are some eateries just at the entrance of the cave. They mostly serve noodles (Maggi) and hot tea. It's a great way to end your day after the trek along the caves.

So in the end, is the Robber's Cave worth a visit? I think so. It's an unusual cave phenomenon and it's very near Dehradun. However, it's best visited along with the other attractions of Dehradun as alone, it would take just an hour or two to explore the caves.

Some other tips that I can give you are the following:
    • There are few public transportation options around Robber's Cave. It's best to bring your own vehicle or hire a taxi to reach it.
    • Do not walk barefooted in the water as the stones underneath it are sharp. You can bring your own flip-flops or rent them from the entrance of the caves.
    • You would also need to bring an extra set of clothes as you're bound to get wet inside the caves.
    • You can fold your pants so it won't get wet inside the caves. Or just wear pants that are above the ankles. Khaki shorts are a good idea for men as well.
    • It's best visited during the weekdays to avoid the huge crowds of people around the caves.
    I hope this helps.

:)