1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dehradun to haridwar

Discussion in 'Uttarakhand' started by dharmeshk, Aug 13, 2016.

1. dharmeshk

dharmeshk New Member

Hi,

I need some advise, we fly into dehradun airport and want to get to haridwar.

I was looking at the train but that mean I have to go the wrong direction for an hour to get to train station.

Out 2nd option is to drive but I am concerned about dangerous roads and also mountain roads that could be dangerous.

Please can you help to tell me if we have to go via any dangerous mountain roads that have no barriers etc if we drive

Dharmesh

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Dehradun to Haridwar is just plain roads with no twist and turns atall. I used to live at Haridwar when I was at school and we use to go cycling practice from Haridwar to Dehradun and then back the same day so I know every inch of that road.

Get a taxi which will only take about an hour from Dehradun to Haridwar. There are no dangerous roads or even mountains on that route. Mountains are on the other side of Dehradun towards Mussoorie.

briannagodess and dharmeshk like this.

3. dharmeshk

dharmeshk New Member

Hi,

Thanks for advise, that's what I thought but my uncle said it was a dangerous road with mountains and no barriers etc

Would you recommend going via chidderwala or rishikesh? Road safety is key to picking route.

Thanks
    Dharmesh

4. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

To be honest I find roads to be very safe and Rishikesh has only about 5-6 mins of hilly roads as it is just about 10 Kms from Haridwar. Chidderwala is a small village and it would only take about 12-15 mins to drive from Rishikesh to Chidderwala.

Hilly roads really start when you go towards Mussoorie from Dehradun. I would personally recommend that you also visit Mussoorie for a few days while you are there. I go to Mussoorie to get away from city life every two-three months and I love it there.

briannagodess likes this.
  5. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello there! Welcome to the forum!

Jolly Grant Airport or Dehradun Airport is about 40 kms away from Haridwar. It can take you an hour or so to reach Haridwar via Rishikesh. Like what has been said, road conditions are good here. It's not as dangerous as the roads leading to Mussoorie although you still need some care or experience driving through the terrains.

There are concrete barriers around the roads. You'll find some stretches without barriers but this is just because they are being replaced. But most of the roads have barriers.

Since you're going to pass through a mountain, there are still some hairpin curves you'd have to go through. But if you have some experience in driving through mountains, you can easily pass these curves.

The roads leading to Haridwar are actually one of the nicest ones in the country, considering other roads in mountainous terrains. Roads are flat and paved for the most part.

If you're still concerned about driving, it's best to hire a local taxi in the region. Ask the driver how many times he had traversed through this route. A safer number would be around 6 to 8 times. That way, he knows the roads really well and has some experience in driving it.

So there are three routes you can take from the airport to Haridwar:
    • Route No. 1 via Rishikesh - Jolly Grant Airport > Ranipokhari > Rishikesh > Shyampur > Nepali Farm > Shantikunj > Haridwar.
    • Route No. 2 via NH7 and NH34 - Jolly Grant Airport > Bhaniawala > Mazri Grant > Chidderwala > Nepali Farm > Shantikunj > Haridwar.
    • Route No. 3 via Cheela Dam - Jolly Grant Airport > Ranipokhari > Triveni Ghat > Veerbhadhara > Ganga Bhogpur Talla > Cheela Colony > Haridwar.
    The Route No. 1 is about 39.4 kms from the airport to Haridwar. This is also the route via Rishikesh. I'd recommend this route as it's straight to Rishikesh and it's good as well as fast. You can reach Haridwar in an hour via this route. It's a very scenic route too so you'd enjoy the drive. Safety-wise, it's the best choice.

The Route No. 2 is via NH7 and NH34 and it's about 39 kms as well. You won't pass Rishikesh here but you will go through Chidderwala. It's also a scenic route and you'd even pass by the Rajaji National Park along the way. It also takes an hour to reach Haridwar via this route.

The Route No. 3 is via Cheela Colony. This is about 43 kms from the airport to Haridwar. The Cheela Colony is a part of the Rajaji National Park. And they have accommodations for guests here. If you're itinerary includes Rajaji National Park, then you can consider this route. It can take you an hour or more to reach Haridwar from this route.

I hope this helps.:)

Chahal and Admin like this.
  6. dharmeshk

dharmeshk New Member

Hi

I'm abit confused is there an mountain to cross from dehradun to haridwar or no as chahal said there wasn't but you say there is.

Also do you know of a good taxi company we can use?

D

7. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

There are mountains there but roads between Haridwar and Dehradun are not dangerous by any standards. You cannot expect to have a road in a straight line if thats what you mean.

What is your main concern? Is it road safety or do you have some kind of mountain sickness problem or something on those lines?

Admin likes this.
  8. dharmeshk

dharmeshk New Member

Hi,

Main concern and only concern is road safety as I have family with me.

I remember going to mount Abu and the road was so terrible that around every corner we were holding breath

D

9. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Road between Dehradun and Haridwar is nothing like Mount Abu. Please understand that Dehradun to Haridwar road does not go through the mountains.

10. dharmeshk

dharmeshk New Member

Thanks guy I am confident to take a taxi now after all your great advise

Have any of you heard or recommend a taxi service I can book for 6 people?

D

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2016
  11. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

The best way to get a taxi is by asking your hotel to arrange a pick up for you instead of doing research into different taxi companies. Before you book your hotel just speak to hotel front desk over the phone and ask if they can arrange a pick up and drop off at a charge. Booking your taxi through your hotel will free you of many worries.

12. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

It is a very short distance so you could just walk out of the airport and get a taxi there or as Admin said you could get one arranged by the hotel you would be staying.