1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Somnath Temple

Discussion in 'Gujarat' started by RaguRaj, Apr 14, 2016.

1. RaguRaj

RaguRaj New Member

Hello, travelers I am Ragu from Nagpur. I will be in Ahmadabad on the 28th April and from there on I wish to go to Saurashtra to visit the Somnath temple. There are a few things which I would like to know before I start my visit so I can plan my way back home accordingly.

1. What is the distance from Ahmadabad to Saurashtra?

2. Are there any queues for darshan at the Somnath temple?

3. What are the Aarti timings?

4. Can you provide some information about the light and sound show?

2. Shiv

Shiv Member

1. The distance between Ahmadabad to Saurashtra is 402km.

2. Yes there is a little queue for darshan but not too long, and it keeps on moving, but on weekends and festivals, it would be busier.

3. Three aartis are conducted during the day at 7 am, 12 pm and in the evening at 7 pm.

4. The light and sound show is in the evening around 7 pm n the garden which is adjoined to the temple. The light and sound show is narrated in English and explains everything one needs to know about the temple, from the history of the temple to the construction.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The distance between Ahmedabad and Saurashtra is about 233 kms. It can take you four to five hours to reach the latter.

The timings for the Darshan at Somnath Temple is from 6:00 am to 9:30 pm. It can get crowded during weekends and public holidays. You would need to go to the temple earlier in order to be eligible for the Darshan.

The Aarti Timings are:
    • Morning: 7:00 am
    • Afternoon: 12:00 pm
    • Evening: 7:00 pm
    The Jay Somnath Light and Sound Show happens every evening at 8:00 to 9:00 pm. Be there before 8:00 pm, 7:45 would be perfect. Ticket cost is at Rs. 25. It's a nice show to learn more about the importance of the different areas in Somnath. It relates the story of how Lord Krishna left his body and returned to heaven.

It also tackles the history of the Somnath Temple and how it was attacked several times before. It was rebuilt by Mahipala Deva in 1308 although the Portuguese destroyed it again during their reign. It was attacked again by Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb in 1665. He threatened to completely destroy the temple if Hindus worship the temple again. However, the Marathas still revived and restored the temple in 1783, adjacent to the original temple.

The final reconstruction of the temple came after the independence from the British. It's the same temple that we see now, majestic and full of history. The light and sound show narrates all these stories. With the combination of the way the temple is lit up and the ocean by its side, it's an amazing story to be heard.

I hope this helps!