1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Best Sand Dunes?

Discussion in 'Rajasthan' started by Dune Dude, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Dune Dude

Dune Dude New Member

My idea of India is sun and sand, which is something that actually appeals to me more than the other touristy-type attractions. Where would one go for the best sand dunes and camel riding?

2. freddi

freddi Member

I saw something on TV ages ago about camel safaris - I think they were in the desert in Rajasthan? Kinda stupid here, but until then I'd never realised India had any desert (should have paid attention more in Geography class obviously!). That does sound like a pretty awesome adventure, I'd be interested to know more too.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

India has three deserts in three regions: the Trans-Himalayas, Kutch and Rajasthan.

The Trans-Himalayas is home to the bare brown mountains because this region receives abundant sunlight and snow but no rain. That is why no vegetation survives on this hilly region.

Then, we have the white, sandy desert of Kutch. During monsoon season, the desert is submerged under water. During summer, you'll see the beauty of the white sands of Kutch especially during evening.

And lastly, we have the Rajasthan, where the golden sands of the desert can be found, it goes by the name of Thar Desert. It is also here where you can find the sand dunes and ride camels.

Here's some places in Rajasthan where you can ride camels and go to the sand dunes:
    • Jaisalmer. You can find many agencies offering camel safaris in Jaisalmer. A tour and camel safari here includes: camel ride to isolated sand dunes, visiting of Dhanis or small villages, sunset watch, meals by the dunes and even a campfire. It depends on what package you choose, whether it's a half day, one day or two day tour.
    • Khimsar. The Khimsar Fort and Khimsar Dunes Village offers tourists camel safaris, tour around Khimsar and wildlife tours.
    • Khuri. A half day tour consists of touring the isolated sand dunes in Thar Desert and an amazing view of the sunset in the end. If you opt for the overnight tour, you get to enjoy camping nearby the dunes as well.
    • Bikaner. You get to encounter tribal people in your camel safari. There's also some tracks of wild animals en route.
    I hope this helps!