1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Do You Celebrate During Holi?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Noril Salvo, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Noril Salvo

Noril Salvo New Member

Sorry for my ignorance, I just heard this Indian festival. I just want to know what it is all about, and what do you celebrate in this special occasion? Thanks

2. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

We play with colors.. throw water balloons on each other.. we though waste a lot of water but enjoy the festival....

Some people drink on this day.. bhang is a famous for that..I eat bhang wali Kulfi( icream) on Holi which is made by a a shopkeeper especially on holy..

Sent from my GT-S6102 using Tapatalk 2

3. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

We celebrate Holi as a day of victory of good over bad. There is a story that goes with it which you can find here.

Shanaya likes this.
  4. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

Holi is a festival of colors and mostly celebrated in northern part of India. Nowadays it is becoming popular in Southern parts too.

There are too many stories associated with this vibrant festival. The most popular one related to the burning of "Holika". Holika was the sister of demon king Hiranya Kashipu. He wanted to kill his blessed son, Prahlad. Prahlad was an avid follower of God Narayana. Hiranya Kashipu ordered his sister to kill Prahlad and at the end she was burnt to death. There was no harm for Prahlad and Holi is being celebrated commemorating the victory of good over evil. On this day people throw colors on each other using water balloons or pichkaris (water guns). We also use colored powder. I think it is similar to tomato festival of Spain.

Alexandoy likes this.
  5. aparpurant

aparpurant New Member

During Holi, we drink bhang and party! Bhang is liquid marijuana. Have a glass or two, go out with your friends, dance, and chill!

6. turtledove

turtledove Member

Holi is one of the most vibrant and fun festivals in India! People play and throw around coloured powders, and they throw around water balloons too. White clothes are generally worn on this day, so that the clothes do get stained. Good food is also eaten, and 'bhang' is also very popular on this day! People do often get quite drunk, but it's all part of the mood. It's normally celebrated in the north, but it's also more common in the south nowadays.

Shanaya likes this.
  7. Shanaya

Shanaya New Member

Holi!! Definitely one of my favorite festivial! Well according to the elderly, it marks the beginning of the summer season along with victory of good over bad. It is certainly the most colorful festival, in which people throw powdered colors at each other, splash waters at each other(totally a waste, yet very enjoyable), eat food made of a special ingredient called "bhang". This festival marks color to friendship, wherein people at no-talking-terms too play holi as one single family. In few places, in addition to colors, water and bhang, "eggs" too are used to play holi! Cracking eggs on head is considered to be the most fascinating part.

8. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

What a colorful festival. Maybe we should plan our trip to India to coincide with Holi so we would see for ourselves how the people celebrate it. Splashing water is a lot of fun since I was born in San Juan, a town that has the custom during the town fiesta on June 24 where the public throws water to each other. But Holi is more fun since it's not only water but color also. I'm sure the kids are awaiting this event every year. By the way, when is Holi celebrated?

travelguide likes this.
  9. turtledove

turtledove Member

Generally in March. In 2016, it's going to be March 23rd, I think. It definitely would be worth visiting India around Holi, but if you want to see the best and most traditional celebrations, definitely visit Northern India. The celebrations there are usually more colourful and exciting. If you do go, though, be sure to be a little more careful about what you drink. You wouldn't want to end up drinking intoxicating things by accident! It's not dangerous or anything, but it's better to be safe than sorry...

Alexandoy likes this.
  10. btalivny

btalivny Member

Holi is a very festive and colorful celebration. One thing about Indian individuals I have noted was how they enjoy including foreigners in many of these events without even questioning them. Extremely friendly.

11. turtledove

turtledove Member

That's true, lots of Indians love to spread the fun! I think such festivals are a lot more fun when you can show someone who has no idea about your culture something completely new. It's really wonderful for both the individuals involved. Overall, the more people who take people in these festivals the better. It's just so much more fun and engaging when there are more people throwing the colours around!

12. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

Absolutely, kids will love it. It is a festival of colors and fun for everybody, especially for kids. On this day every adult become childish and start spraying colors on each other. But be careful if you are not in a mood to play and do not want to get colored. It is better to stay inside or in your balcony in the first half of the day. Once Holi is over, there is another celebration called Rang Panchami, which is celebrated five days after Holi. It is just like a mini-Holi. People use to throw red colors during Rang Panchami.