1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What outdoor activities are there in Gulmarg?

Discussion in 'North India' started by Mohit FG, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Mohit FG

Mohit FG New Member

I would like to know whether there are any outdoor activities in Gulmarg. If there are what all outdoor activities are available in Gulmarg?
    Is it a good time to visit in November?

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

There are plenty of activities that you can do at Gulmarg in both summer and winter. You have not mentioned what time of the year you plan to go so I am going to list out everything that I know and could be of interest.

You could go for a gondola ride, heli-skiing started with the help of a French company has become very popular, you take a helicopter ride to the top of the hill and then ski down the slope of the hill. I believe this is the only heli skiing destination in Asia (I may be wrong). You could go fishing in summer months as there are plenty of fishing hot spots. If you like a bit of adventure go for trekking on one of the many trekking routes near by, peer panjal being one of the popular ones with experienced trekkers. You could also go for little picnics if you like to sit and relax while seeing the beauty of nature.

3. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Sorry I missed your mention of "November".

4. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

It is great for skiing and ice skating. I would prefer hiking. I love cold weather hiking, although it is not for everyone and takes a lot more preparation. Ultimately, the thing to know is it is beautiful there. A lot of great natural and pristine scenery, which means you can enjoy almost any activity outdoors and have fun. Depending on your hotel, you might even have a basketball court. And, a short game is wonderful with a mountain view. Just remember to pack the required equipment. If you have to rely on rentals, they might not have the best, or things in your size.

5. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello there! Welcome to the forum!

Here's a list of all the outdoor activities that you can do in Gulmarg:

1. Sledging - A flat, wooden board is taken up the hill and then you slide down the hill without the help of any navigator. You can hire sledges and even sledge pullers in Gulmarg itself. It's a fun activity especially for individuals who aren't as keen on trying out skiing or snow boarding. It's also a fun activity for kids and families. You can also ride a sledge driven around by locals to tour Gulmarg. Price for this is around Rs. 100 to Rs. 200.

2. Skiing - Skiing season in Gulmarg begins in December and lasts until March/April. There are two areas for skiing in Gulmarg:
    • Beginner's Area - This is open from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm, but there's a break between 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm. You can find this in the lower region, near the Golf Course of Gulmarg. Skiing here is meant for the beginners.
    • High Mountain Area - There are two areas for this, the Phase I of the Gondola ride and the Phase II of the Gondola ride. The Phase I opens from 8:30 am up to 3:30 pm. The Phase II opens much later in the day, it depends on the avalanche and weather conditions. Skiing here is meant for the novices to experts.
    You can also opt for the skiing course offered in Gulmarg. The Indian Institute of Skiing and Mountaineering offers different courses for tourists. A Basic Course costs Rs. 6,000 per person and lasts for 14 days. There are also hotels offering courses including rooms and meals. You can also learn skiing for a day for a fee of Rs. 250. Ski rentals cost Rs. 750 per day or you can just bring your own equipment.

3. Snow Boarding - This involves sliding on a slope with snowboard attached to your feet. Snowboard rentals cost Rs. 600 to Rs. 750 per day. You can try snow boarding either in the Phase I or Phase II of the Gondola ride.

4. Riding the Gulmarg Gondola - I've mentioned this above. The Gulmarg Gondola is the highest cable car project in Asia. It is also the second highest in the world. It is a two-stage ropeway, Phase I and Phase II, that can transport up to 600 people per hour. Phase I transfers tourists from the Gulmarg Resort to the Kongdoori Station. Phase II transfers tourists from the Kongdoori Station to the Kongdoori Mountain, a shoulder of the Apharwat Peak. Phase I takes about 9 minutes and Phase II takes about 12 minutes. Here are the rates:
    • Phase I Cable Car - Rs. 700 per person.
    • Phase II Cable Car - Rs. 900 per person.
    • Phase II Chair Lift - Rs. 250 per person.
    Ski Passes also cost differently:
    • Phase I Ski Pass - Rs. 350 single ride, Rs. 700 for one day ride and Rs. 3,000 for a week's pass.
    • Phase II Ski Pass - Rs. 450 single ride, Rs. 1,150 for one day ride and Rs. 6,800 for a week's pass.
    5. Trekking - Gulmarg is also the base for numerous trekking opportunities. One of the most popular treks is through the Pir Panjal Range. The difficulty of the trek is equated to that of the Himalayas. Another trek is through the Apharwat Peak, which is also where the second phase of the Gondola is located. A less treacherous trek is through Tosamaidan, in which you can visit the nearby villages in Gulmarg.

6. Golfing - The Gulmarg Golf Course is situated about 2,650 metres above sea level. This is the highest golf course in the world. It has a par of 72 with different land slopes and inclines. It is best visited during the summer months as it is covered with snow during winter.

7. Heli-Skiing - Heli-Skiing was introduced in Gulmarg during 2011. Instead of a ski-lift, held-skiing involves the use of a helicopter to access a remote terrain. Prices vary but a full day package costs Rs. 92,500 and a half day package costs Rs. 52,500.

November is a good time to visit Gulmarg. Although snow typically isn't as deep during this month. For deeper snow, consider the months of January and February. Temperatures range between 1°C to 16°C during this month. Bring your woollen clothes as it's bound to get colder as the months progress. Consider going to the Phase II of the Gondola ride for more snow as well. Also, book in advance as this is also the beginning of peak season in Gulmarg.

I hope this helps.:)

6. Casiox

Casiox New Member

I have watched several videos from those guys and it looks really amazing, it would definitely be super fun to heli-ski at India, I was planning on going in december or probably november, but I really want to go when the snow times come in.