1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to see and do in Vadadora

Discussion in 'Gujarat' started by Didds, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Didds

Didds New Member

My husband and I are going for a friend's wedding in Vadadora, after the wedding celebrations we will have a few days to spare.
    Generally when we go on holiday somewhere we take a sightseeing bus, which is suitable and easy, is there something of a similar sort available in Vadadora? If not then please give suggestions to what we can see and do during out spare three days and which is the best mode of transport around Vadadora for tourists?

2. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

Where is Vadadora? Or Do you mean Vadodra in Gujarat?

3. Prits

Prits Member

Currently there is nothing such as sightseeing buses in the city, some time ago there were talks about a government operated mini bus which would purely be for sightseeing, but this service has not started yet, but when you arrive in the city it would good to double check as it may have started by then. If the service is not available then sightseeing would have to be done by a cab.

For a list of things to see this is what you have:
    Laxmi Villas Palace
    Tapovan Temple
    Motibaug Palace
    Sayaji Baug
    Maharaja Fatesingh Museum

The rest really depends on your personal interest.

4. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

Make sure you tase the all mighty vada pao and pao vada. :)

5. Didds

Didds New Member

Ok I have heard of vada pao from my friends, but what exactly is pao vada? o_O I was told by them, but I have a feeling they were telling me a lie.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  6. Anurag

Anurag Member

Its like a potato fritter burger with chutney and spices. Have a look at the thread on best street food in Mumbai, the description of vada pao is mentioned in there.

7. Didds

Didds New Member

Posting from Vadadora, and loving it. I have tasted the recommended dish vada pao and it is spicy, not really my liking, so I had one without the chilly chutney, although loved by my husband...:) Thanks for the suggestion DhongiBaba.
    So far I have been to Laxmi Villas Palace and yet to see the rest of attractions but the heat is a killer.
    We are thinking of extending our stay and doing the golden triangle, please give suggestions in the new thread I have opened.

8. RaviDua

RaviDua New Member

Never get a vada pav from a good shop, it doesn't taste as authentic or as good. It maybe more hygienic but the taste as compared to vada pavs sold by the street vendors is not as good.

9. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

There's an AC mini-tour bus taking the tourists in Vadodara to a guided tour of the city. The Tourism Corporation of Gujarat handles this bus. But it is the Vadodara Municipal Corporation that will undertake the tour guides, itinerary for places to be visited and the literature to be given to the guests. Booking can be done at the Pravasi Gruh, which is just opposite the railway station.

The bus service has two parts:
    • During Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays: There will be a city tour.
    • During Saturday, Sunday and Monday: There will be a city tour and tour of nearby tourist places.
    Places covered are the following: EME Temple, Planetarium at Sayajibaugh, Kirti Mandir, Maharshi Arvind Ashram near Lakdi Pul and Fateh Singh Rao Museum.

There is a sightseeing bus as I've mentioned. But here's a list of places you can visit in Vadodara as well:
    • The Laxmi Vilas Palace. This was built by R.H. Chisholm and has an Indo-Saracenic style of architecture.
    • The Maharaja Fateh Singh Museum. This contains some beautiful paintings from Europe.
    • The Tambekar Wada. This is a wooden multi-storey house that used to be the residence of Bhau Tambekar, Diwan of Baroda.
    • The Kirti Mandir. Located very near the Sursagar Lake, this houses the Gaekwad Samadhi or memorial ground.
    • Nazar Bagh Palace. It has a beautiful Sheesh Mahal or Mirror Palace.
    • Naulakhi Well. This is a stepwell built ages of years ago.
    I hope this helps!